Burst carbonation and Taprite regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CButterworth

Reaction score
I just got my export Scottish Ale into the keg. I am force carbonating it for 24 hours at 24 psi, then setting the regulator to between 13 and 16 psi to give me between 1.8 and 2.2 volumes of CO2 at 60F.

So, when I come to set the Taprite regulator at 16psi, will extra pressure in the keg (at 24psi) flow back into the regulator until the keg pressure decreases to 16psi?

OR do I need to vent the keg and bring its pressure down to 16 psi?

Thanks,
Charlie

Corny or Sanke?

My sanke set-up has check valves in the coupler (piece that attaches to the keg).

Im not familiar with corny kegs...

If you are worried about over-carbing I would vent the pressure and then set to desired pressure, if not I would leave it and set down your pressure assuming your set up has check valves in the coupler/regulator.

turn the gas down some of the regulator, the needle wont move until you vent the keg. Might take a couple tries to get it where u want it.

I just got my export Scottish Ale into the keg. I am force carbonating it for 24 hours at 24 psi, then setting the regulator to between 13 and 16 psi to give me between 1.8 and 2.2 volumes of CO2 at 60F.

Just checking here, but where are you getting your figures from? Those sound right for inside your 40F keezer/kegerator, but at 60F, the pressures should be considerably higher. For reference, I leave my on-deck keg at 25PSI and around 60F until I have a spot open in the kegerator, for however long that takes, and that results in a mostly carbonated beer. It usually still takes a day or two to come up to full carbonation, but I'd rather not go much higher than that and risk overcarbonation.

Latest posts

Back