The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling is what you make of it!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
raptorkeeper89
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bottling is what you make of it!

Im getting ready to bottle my 5th batch.yes I know, not the most by any standards but enough to know my way around my bottling set up. I keep reading all these "bottling sucks" threads, but it doesn't have to be that way. Make it enjoyable for you. When I bottle, I grab the iPod and headphones and just get to it. Some good tunes and nothing to bother me, I find it quite relaxing actually. I'm not here to bag legging by any means, my best friend and also home brewer strictly kegs some have seen both worlds. My preference is bottling. guess I'm just venting, but like my title says, bottling is what you make of it. If you make it a painful, not organized pain in your ass, well chances are you won't like it. But customize and make your set up efficient, and you can bottle like a beast. Rant over, thanks for listening

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 05:42 AM   #2
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

good on you for enjoying it. i strictly keg, so i can say i like hearing someone has fun bottling

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 06-23-2012, 05:45 AM   #3
raptorkeeper89
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I may in the future definitely pick up a kegging set up. Both have their advantages and disadvantages agreed. But when people all the time curse bottling, I'm like, well you just didn't take the time to fine tune your set up to what works best. Like I said, I'll probably pick up a kegging set up when cash flow/SWMBO allows lol

Old 06-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Jdk261
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm with you. I like bottling sometimes because it's therapeutic for me; but I like the consistency kegging offers (carbonation, taste, etc...)

Old 06-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorkeeper89 View Post
But when people all the time curse bottling, I'm like, well you just didn't take the time to fine tune your set up to what works best.
That's exactly the impetus for my bottling tips sticky refining the system til it's fast and easy.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I enjoy bottling. I understand kegging can give me beer quicker but the process is nice and relaxing. Normally I can do the entire process in about an hour of work. Normally I wake up boil up my priming sugar, grab a shower while it cools then start bottling. I am done as everyone is waking up in my house.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
raptorkeeper89
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

@Revvy, much thanks to you!!! The first time I bottled was less than superb. I eventually read your thread, and while not an exact copy of your process, I took some tips and tricks an applied it to my set up. Now, as you can see by this thread, bottling for me is a relaxing, enjoyable process.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 610 Posts
Likes Given: 2661

I wouldn't say I enjoy bottling. It's not my favorite part of the hobby, especially considering I brew quite a lot. I don't hate it, though, either. I have managed to streamline the process, so I can do it pretty quickly these days. I do hope to start kegging this year, but I will still bottle as well.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
dfaridoni
Recipes 

I too don't find bottling a pain. I put on a ball game, get set up and bottle all in less than an hour, not counting sanitizing which I do the day before. After reading revvy's thread I have used a lot of his tips that have made it much easier. Plus I guess learning from experience and getting a bench capper have made it pretty easy. I know a lot of folks would fault santizing early but I completely dry the bottles, cover them with clingwrap and tape the boxes shut. No problems on the 5 brews I've done this way as far as biological contamination goes. I guess if it works for soft drink bottling it should for beer and I worked in a soft drink plant bottling, sanitation, and syrup batching for almost 30 years.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
LansingX
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am with RaptorKeeper. I enjoy bottling, probably because it is the last step in brewing. Sure kegging is easier and I use kegging for my session beers that go quickly. Everything else gets bottled for proper aging.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads