Bottling a RIS this Weekend...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It started out at 1.093 and finished out at 1.034. Is there anything special to consider when bottling a Big Beer like this as far as adding yeast or upping the amount of Priming Sugar? I usually use 3/4 Cups Corn Sugar to 1 Pint of water.

Are you sure that bad boy is done? What yeast did you use? That's only 61.4% Apparent Attenuation. 1.034 seems kinda high.

I used Wyeast 1084. O did a 2 quart starter, let it ferment out, poured off the slurry, then I repitched some DME on top of the Yeast cake again. IT was a pretty big starter. The beer was fermented at 70 degrees in the Primary for a little over 3 weeks, and as of Saturday, will of been Dry Hopping in the Secondary for 17 days.

My question for you. How did you get your Attentuation percentage number that you quoted. Attentuation is one of the areas that I am trying to understand more and I would like to know how to go about figuring out what apparent attentuation numbers are. Thanks...

Also, I got the recipe out of "Brewing Classic Styles". In that book, the recipe goes from 1.100 down to 1.037ish.

Formula for calculation included.

Attenuation
Attenuation is defined as the %sugar converted to alcohol and CO2 by the yeast. Apparent attenuation is computed from the measured specific gravity (converted to extract) of the beer, as follows:
AA = 1 - AE / OE,
AE = Apparent Extract of beer, as measured by a hydrometer
OE = Original Extract of the wort.

However, the specific gravity of the beer is depressed by the lower specific gravity of alcohol (0.8, approximately), so the measured apparent extract is smaller than the real extract (sugars remaining in the finished beer). Real extract, RE, can be measured by dealcoholizing the beer (typically by boiling gently), adding distilled water back to the original volume, and then taking the specific gravity. Or, we can use an approximation (due to Balling):
RE = .1808*OE + .8192*AE,

With this approximation, we can compute an approximation to the real attenuation as

RA = 1 - RE / OE,
RA = 1 - (.1808*OE + .8192*AE) / OE.

Delpo

Delpo is way smarter than I am. Both Beersmith and ProMash have a tool to calculate the attenuation for you. I'm sure the other brewing softwares have them as well. Or you could just plug Delpo's formula into an excel worksheet.

Well, if you have a recipe that gets you close, I'll believe it ;). I'm a noob, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but looking at the yeast:

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=6
Attenuation: 71-75%; Alcohol Tolerance: 10% ABV

I'd be nervous. But maybe there's a bunch of unfermentable sugars in there that make me nervous. I just don't want to see you get bottle bombs :eek:.

Good thing I let this one sit in the Secondary for 5 Weeks. I just kegged, and my FG is 1.024 :mug: Once again, Thank Goodness for HBT!!!

Back