Bottling a One Gallon Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeebas

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I did a 1 gallon batch of this - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/joes-quick-grape-mead-57190/ I have it fermenting in a 1 gallon growler. I had afew questions if anyone could help me out.

1) I am going to "secondary" it over more honey and juice (to backsweeten) and campden and sorbate (to fill fermentation) to another 1 gallon growler. Would the best way to transfer between be an auto siphon?

2) Really dumb noob question - is post fermentation aeration as big of a concern with mead / wine as it is with beer? I.e. would carefully pouring it (with the help of a funnel) into the other growler be a bad idea?

3) I was going to bottle this still (no carbonation) into some swingtops. I was planning on just racking from the secondary to a bottling bucket? My one concern was loss. I was wondering if folks who have made one gallon batches could chime in with the procedures they have used or if I'm totally off with my approach.

Thanks!

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. I used a bottling bucket. I lift and tip my bucket to minimize loss and generally lose less than half a bottle. And what I do lose usually has all the sediment in it anyways.

Back