Bottling Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
I made a batch for the Ed Wort's Apfelwein day back on January 24, and racked it to a secondary after I thougth it was finished in about 6 weeks (I may have racked it a little early, but it is really close) and it has been aging at about 60 degrees ever since. My "aging" room is starting to get warm during the days, so I need to get this thing moved, plus I want my corny back.

I have decided that bottling it is the way to go, but I want some to be carbed, and some not to be carbed. So my plan is to bottle about half of it in a non carbed fashion, then add the whatever I need for priming sugar and bottle.

How much priming sugar do you think I will need, and will it still prime after all this time?

OR.... I could force carb and bottle from the carboy using the BMBF method, but not sure how that will work with this and how long it will stay good???

Thoughts???

So the apfelwein is currently in a corny for secondary? You could use ~2.5 oz priming sugar in half and bottle the other half with no sugar, or bottle half with no sugar and force carb the other half to bottle; I don't think it would make much difference. As far as yeast viability, I would think you would still be all right, but it may not hurt to pick up another pack of Montrachet for under a buck and toss a few yeast "pellets" in each bottle. FWIW, I just kegged a back of apfelwein that has been in primary sitting on the yeast cake since 12/29 and it tastes fine, so time may not be too crucial for the transfer.

So the apfelwein is currently in a corny for secondary? You could use ~2.5 oz priming sugar in half and bottle the other half with no sugar, or bottle half with no sugar and force carb the other half to bottle; I don't think it would make much difference. As far as yeast viability, I would think you would still be all right, but it may not hurt to pick up another pack of Montrachet for under a buck and toss a few yeast "pellets" in each bottle. FWIW, I just kegged a back of apfelwein that has been in primary sitting on the yeast cake since 12/29 and it tastes fine, so time may not be too crucial for the transfer.

Yes, its sitting in a corny keg right now. Its cooled off again, and I am still involved in my little bathroom remodel, so its looking like Sunday before I get to this.

I made a 3 gallon batch and I want to say I used 5.5 ounces of corn sugar. I was going for around 4.0 volumes of co2. I didn't have any bottle bombs and it poured like champagne.

Back