Bottle aging in warmer temperatures?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Futureman

Reaction score
Here is my situation:

I have a ton of beer in bottles. I prefer to let them sit for about 8 weeks, especially the Scotch Ale which is still working out its green apply smell. The problem is that I do not have ideal cellar temperatures. My basement is around 65-68 degrees F, and that is about as cool of an environment as I can get. Good for fermenting ales, but how about aging?

The timeframes you're talking about really don't qualify as "aging", but "conditioning". The temps you reference are fine for bottle conditioning. Belgian Trappist and Abbey brewers often, in fact, bottle condition in a "warm room" with artificially warmed floors to aid the conditioning yeasts along.

First keep your beer upstairs for two weeks to carbonate and then put them in your basement to age. 65-68f is fine for long term aging. I sure wish I had a basement that cool for aging. Out here in hot central CA, I need to age my beers in a special fridge during the warmest 6 months of the year. Basements are unheard of out here.

I don't have a cellar either. My beer sits anywhere from low 60's to the 80's depending on ambient temps in my loft, and for months at a time, and never had an issue.

Back