Black yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrus

Reaction score
Last night i cracked open a bottle of Apfelwein, and noticed that instead of the usual whiteyeastie bits down the bottom of the bottle, there was black stuff. Cracked the bottle open, and there was almost no carbonation. Decided not to drink it just in case something was wrong. All my other bottles have been fine so far.

But whats goin on there? Some sort of infection? Anyone else ever seen anything like this?

Cheers
Chrus

Doesn't sound good.
...wish I had some left, fecking cold here today! White frost on the ground. Hows Sydney treating you?

I still got a few left... none cold ATM though :(

Isnt it always cold in tassie?

Sydney is wet... been raining heaps... which is good, we need the rain. Not too cold up here... but then again, Ive been inside with the heater for the last few days...

dibby33 said:
Doesn't sound good.
...wish I had some left, fecking cold here today! White frost on the ground.

:off:
Dibby, isn't Taz always cold? My experience consists of three days in Dec 2000 (gotta get back one of these days) when we were treated to 2" of snow on the ground for a day hike. Two days later, we were in Melbourne and it was 42C...

When I see black fuzzy floaties, I think algae. I can't think of anything that would turn yeast black.

Chrus said:
Isnt it always cold in tassie?

Sydney is wet... been raining heaps... which is good, we need the rain. Not too cold up here... but then again, Ive been inside with the heater for the last few days...

It is 2 degrees here just now apparently. At least it is not raining! I can see Mount Wellington from my house and the snow line is getting lower. Thinking about taking my 3year old daughter up to show her the snow for the first time :rockin:

I would enjoy the cold weather more if I did not have to keep the house warm for a new baby - lot of wood getting burnt just now. Next year I am buying a heat pump.

Bike N Brew said:
:off:
Dibby, isn't Taz always cold? My experience consists of three days in Dec 2000 (gotta get back one of these days) when we were treated to 2" of snow on the ground for a day hike. Two days later, we were in Melbourne and it was 42C...

December - that is the middle of summer! Eeek.

Back