best sam adam for bottling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnybrew91

Reaction score
Hey I live on long island new York and I live next to a beer distributer and i can pick all kinds of empty bottles I want for a small fee.
I will be using a colona capper/Corker, i hear sam adams are really good but not to use lights. They have a bunch of kinds are some better than others since the lights are allegedly not that good? Are there better bottles like dogfish or other northeastern craft beers?
Final question, are shortnecks or long necks easier to cap? ( i hate breaking/cleaning glass)

I have a good steady supply of Sam Adams bottles, I'd say about 80% of my bottles are SA, never had an issue with any of them. Short/long neck is purely preference, won't make any difference. I've used a lot of DFH bottles as well, they may be a little thicker but pretty similar all in all. Take whatever you can get for free I'd say.

When I started I asked friends to collect bottles for me. Most were Sam Adams. They all seem the same. I have had no issues with any of my bottles regardless of brewery.

I am now in the process of ridding myself of the SA bottles because of the molded in name. I am keeping all the plain glass, no logos.

I like shortneck bottles, like Anchor, they fit nicely on the top rack of my dishwasher, longnecks only on the bottom rack. Consider also champagne bottles: accepts regular crown caps, double the volume and easily collected from friend's and relative's weddings, probably the reception place just throws them out (or hopefully recycles them) all the time.

[...]i hear sam adams are really good but not to use lights. They have a bunch of kinds are some better than others since the lights are allegedly not that good? Are there better bottles like dogfish or other northeastern craft beers?
Final question, are shortnecks or long necks easier to cap? ( i hate breaking/cleaning glass)

All of Sammy beers come in the exact same bottles - Lightship or otherwise. And when I was bottling SA was my preferred bottle - they were the easiest to de-label, thick enough for multiple re-use, and I preferred long necks over stubbies. Dogfishhead was in the race - they use the same style bottle - along with a few others (Wachusetts, for instance) but consumption favored SA...

Cheers!

Thanks everybody looks like I'll be coming out of my local beer spot with 3 24 packs of long neck Samuel Adams for 8-9 bucks maybe cheaper.I really like this community and I'm glad I joined.

Thanks everybody looks like I'll be coming out of my local beer spot with 3 24 packs of long neck Samuel Adams for 8-9 bucks maybe cheaper.I really like this community and I'm glad I joined.

Empty? If so, why would you pay anything for them?

Ask friends to save bottles for you. I bought enough for my first batch, by the time the second batch was ready I had plenty. I finally had to tell my friends to stop saving them. Now I keg and I am getting rid of the Sam Adams bottles which have the name molded into the glass. I will save the plain bottles.

Latest posts

Back