Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > ball or pin lock kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 01:59 AM   #11
mdgagne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

MFL quick disconnects make the choice a moot point. Get what you can when the price is good unless you're dimension constraints speak otherwise.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 02:09 AM   #12
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgagne View Post
MFL quick disconnects make the choice a moot point. Get what you can when the price is good unless you're dimension constraints speak otherwise.
Exactly as I stated in my post very early in the thread... IF you use swivel nuts (for all QD's and such) then it won't matter. You'll just need to change the QD's to match the keg they're going onto. I'm sure that can get old for some people. I don't need to worry about it since all my kegs are ball lock...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-28-2012, 02:10 AM   #13
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie

You ever use/own a ball lock?? Just saying, it swings both ways Hoss...

Personally, I've never had an issue putting the wrong QD on a post. Then again most (if not all) my kegs have at least one of the posts marked (stamped right close to the post, or in the rubber top). IF you can read/see, you can put the correct QD on the fitting.

IMO, I'd rather go with the type that I know I'll be able to get pretty much forever. Since they're not making new pin lock kegs, that pretty much rules them out. Sure, the USED, keg market is drying up, but they ARE making brand new ones in ball lock. Haven't seen any brand new manufacture pin lock kegs.
Oh, I have... Hoss. I wasn't arguing that one is better than the other, but that parts are just as easy to find for both. That's all

Old 11-28-2012, 02:13 AM   #14
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
Oh, I have... Hoss. I wasn't arguing that one is better than the other, but that parts are just as easy to find for both. That's all
True... for now at least... IMO, if your kegorator/keezer/brew fridge can handle either, then it's a difficult choice. If one fits better than the other, then the choice is easier. Personally, I've not seen (anywhere, and I have looked) pin lock kegs in sizes other than 5 gallons. I can buy brand new 3 gallon ball lock kegs though, all day long.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-28-2012, 02:16 AM   #15
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie

True... for now at least... IMO, if your kegorator/keezer/brew fridge can handle either, then it's a difficult choice. If one fits better than the other, then the choice is easier. Personally, I've not seen (anywhere, and I have looked) pin lock kegs in sizes other than 5 gallons. I can buy brand new 3 gallon ball lock kegs though, all day long.
I can't argue with the fact all new homebrew kegs are ball lock. But I sure like my pin locks, and if ever I decided to change things up it's an easy fix.

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

|BRULOSOPHY|

Old 11-28-2012, 02:35 AM   #16
ArcticBear
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 5

i started kegging with ball locks for one reason:

I wanted skinnier kegs that i could stuff into my 7.2 cubic ft chest freezer ("kegerator/Keezer")

Sure Pin Locks are only 1/2" or so wider but when I'm cramming 6 kegs into my setup I didnt care about height and needed all the width i could get.... some would say its not about length...but about girth....giggity...

Shameless plug of the Kegerator to show that with how much work i had put into this i needed every little bit of space on the inside to make all 6 lines work:

kegerator1 by jmw5107, on Flickr

kegerator2 by jmw5107, on Flickr

Old 11-28-2012, 02:40 AM   #17
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Nice setup there ArcticBear... Do you run keg lube on them when putting a new keg into the keezer???

Fermenting
K1:

Old 11-28-2012, 04:25 AM   #18
sniperd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I went ball lock for a few reasons.

I look at it as a lifetime investment. Kegs should just last forever so the extra money isn't a big deal.

I like the idea of the relief valve. I use it to purge the O2 after I keg up a beer. Sure you can do that with a pin lock but I believe you have to put C02 in, then disconnect, then press down on the air in. I'd rather just pull the release.

The other reason is I can fit exactly 6 ball lock kegs in my fridge. I sort of got lucky on this, I measured as best I could and it happened to work out. If they were pins I couldn't do it.

I feel the air release is worth the difference in price over time.

Another option is sometimes there are deals on converted pins. Sort of best of both, cheaper and have the the release valve. I've never used one though so I can't say much more about it.

Lastly, bottling sucks.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:40 AM   #19
brewmastercontrols
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Ever own a pin lock?
Yes, the parts are still in my parts box... sadly enough, want them?

Dustin

Check out our National Home Brew Day Give Away we are giving away a pICO HERMS or RIMS electric brewing control system, a value over $2250!

Looking for an electric brewery HERMS, RIMS, and Fermentation control? www.brewmastercontrols.com provides a pre assembled and tested ready to brew control solution out of the box.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/signatur...pic28592_2.gif

Old 11-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #20
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmastercontrols

Yes, the parts are still in my parts box... sadly enough, want them?
I'll take them!

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

|BRULOSOPHY|

Quick Reply