Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > 4 batches will not carbonate..... Any ideas why?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
02883r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
I have a theory... it's called winter.

What's the avg temp where you're keeping the bottles? In my last apartment, beer didn't carb in the winter unless I actively heated it. But we were also pretty stingy with the thermostat, and my beer was in an unheated closet.
It does make sense.... But I do most of my brewing in the winter and have never had this issue before. I have my bottles in cases in the center-most part of my house (the warmest). The temperature is steadily 62 degrees, which has always been more than sufficient in the past, even with the exact same beers. I will put a heater near them and see what happens.

Thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
02883r
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
If you shake a bottle (gently at first) and it doesn't leak at all, it's not the caps...at least it's highly unlikely. Temp is probably the culprit here. Ale yeasts need to be in the high 60's at the lowest if you want them to carb. Try turning each bottle over gently, then back, and move them all to a warmer location.
Ok, the bottles definitely not a problem. It has got to be a temperature problem.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
02883r
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Actually... one of the batches, an amber, has been at my girlfriends moms house (I made it for her for Christmas) where the temperature is consistently between 70-73 degrees; they still didn't carbonate.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #14
m_stodd
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts

What kind of sugar are you using? Could you test it by making a yeast starter or something?

How are you adding it to the bottling bucket? If you don't have it in enough solution, could it have re-solidified and stuck to the bottom of the bucket?

Old 02-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Unless I missed it you never told us how long those batches have been in the bottles.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #16
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 368 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Did you by chance use your dishwater to sanitize your bottles? Not that there's anything inherently wrong with this method, just that I had a friend who had two uncarbed batches that he used a dishwasher to sanitize them (we were thinking the anti-waterspot stuff that's sometimes put in it's own location and lasts for many washings). It's the only thing we could come up with at the time that might have caused this.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #17
02883r
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_stodd View Post
What kind of sugar are you using? Could you test it by making a yeast starter or something?

How are you adding it to the bottling bucket? If you don't have it in enough solution, could it have re-solidified and stuck to the bottom of the bucket?
I am using 4.5 oz of corn sugar. I boil 2 cups of water, add the sugar, let it boil for about a minute then let it cool below 80 degrees. Once it cools I dump it in the bottling bucket then rack in my beet from the secondary.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #18
02883r
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Unless I missed it you never told us how long those batches have been in the bottles.
Oh, sorry.... you're right!

one has been bottled since the end of November, one has been bottled since the beginning of the first week of January, the other since the end of the first week of January and the last has only been about 2 weeks (so it may get better, but it is completely flat).

Old 02-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #19
02883r
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpug View Post
Did you by chance use your dishwater to sanitize your bottles? Not that there's anything inherently wrong with this method, just that I had a friend who had two uncarbed batches that he used a dishwasher to sanitize them (we were thinking the anti-waterspot stuff that's sometimes put in it's own location and lasts for many washings). It's the only thing we could come up with at the time that might have caused this.
I don't have a dishwasher... I have heard horror stories about using them! I always soak my bottles in bleach and water for a day or two, then soak them in just water, then rinse the hell out of them, then put them in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour. Its probably a bit extensive, but I know I have clean, residue free bottles at the end....

Old 02-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #20
jungatheart
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 133

This is really a mystery. I second the idea of making a starter with the corn sugar to test it.

Now I've gotta know what it is!!

Quick Reply