2010 NHC - Embossed Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I thought I remember last year hearing that they don't mind raised glass like SA bottles. I'm reading the current rules and it says nothing about embossed glass being prohibited.

What kind of bottle is required?
BEER entries must be in bottles that are brown or green glass only, 10 to 14 ounces in volume.

...All bottles must be free of ink, paint, or paper labeling other than competition entry labels. Obliterate any lettering or graphics on the cap with a permanent black marker.
Bottles with Grölsch-type swing tops are not allowed.
Corked bottles are acceptable with the following conditions: the bottle must be 10 to 14 ounces; flush corks must have a crown cap crimped over the cork; bottles corked with a stopper and wire cage are also acceptable.
Odd-shaped bottles are acceptable if they meet the above requirements. Bottles not meeting the above requirements will be disqualified.

Does that sound like embossed glass is OK?

That sounds like they'd be ok to me. I've entered SA bottles in competitions that specifically say I shouldn't, but every time it was fine.

It doesn't appear that they are specifically prohibited, but would you really want to chance being DQ'd for using a SA bottle?

It doesn't appear that they are specifically prohibited, but would you really want to chance being DQ'd for using a SA bottle?

I think enough people use them that they would specify it in the rules if they wound't accept them. Who knows though..... they can do whatever they want.

Would you risk not sending an amazing beer because that's the only bottle style you have it in right now?

I'd do it.

I entered a comp that said they wouldn't accept anything other than plain brown bottles.

I only had beer bottled in longhammer bottles. The judges noted on the score sheets that the bottle was inappropriate, but didn't deduct any points.

I took a brozne :D

I called the home brew shop that was the regional drop off point and they said "just do what you would normally do for any competition and read the rules". OK, that helps a lot. I prefaced the question with the fact that I had read the rules and they don't mention embossed bottles like most comps do.

That was fast...

Hi Bobby,

Embossed bottles are O.K. this year.

Good luck in the competition!

Cheers,
Janis

Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator

Janis has always been good at getting back. Good to hear that the bottles are ok. No more worrying about getting those last few SNPA bottles! :)

Latest posts

Back