2.5# CO2 Tank enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopheaded

Reaction score
Im about to start kegging (probably thursday) and all i have is a 2.5# co2 tank. For now im only having 2 kegs on tap and planning to force carb both of them. will my little tank be enough for that? im planning to upgrade later but want to get these first kegs hooked up ASAP and want to know if ill run out of co2 too early (mid keg).

Most folks say you can 6-8 kegs out of a 5# tank. I am on keg 4 on my 5# tank. So I am guessing you are looking at 3-4. Force carbing may make it even less. I use the set it and forget it method.

its the standard 5 gal corny keg.

sounds like ill be good for at least 2 kegs, then ill upgrade. ill try the set it and forget method but impatience will probably get the best of me.

@fastmetal: how long do you set and forget for to get desired carb and at what psi?

how long do you set and forget for to get desired carb and at what psi?
There are a couple of ways to carb the beer much faster when setting your CO² to the serving pressure. Carbing happens when the beer absorbs the CO² from the head space.

Pressurize the keg and then purge the head space. Keep it pressurized and chill the keg. Once it's cold, shake it to help the CO² to be absorbed.

OR - once the beer is kegged and purged, lay the keg down in the refer so that a much greater surface area is exposed. Also the debth of the fluid is much shorter. This will knock at lease a week + off of your carb time.

Hope this makes sense.

Upgrade- and keep your 2.5 lb Co2 tank for a portable kegerator.

Just food for thought :ban:

Latest posts

Back