Toolbox's Hard Core XXX Cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolboxdiver

Reaction score
Started a 5 gal batch of my hardcore Cyser I plan on Kegging and carbonating for the holidays Nov 2011
here is what I did so far
Brew Log :Toolbox's Hardcore Apple Cranberry Mulled Cyser

Ingredients:
3 gal Apple Cider
2 lbs Dried Cranberries
6 lbs Clover honey
4 lbs light brown sugar
4 tsp Mulled Spices
½ tsp Nutmeg, ½ tsp Allspice, ½ tsp Ginger, 1/8 tsp Cloves &
1 TBS Cinnamon
Water to 5 gal
Red star Montrachet yeast starter
yeast starter
1 cup honey
1/4 cup sugar
3 cups water
½ tsp lemon juice
bring to boil skim off scum cool in water bath to 80 deg add yeast shake well add airlock after 24 hours add to must.

1/30/2011 SG 1.105 at start
Racked to secondary 2/12/2011 added 1/2 lb honey disolved in 2 cups water
2/12/2011 SG 1.040

Racked the cyser today and it's clearing nicely should be ready to Keg ahead of schedule for the Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays

Racked 5/02/2011 added 8 oz honey with 1 cup of water and
1 oz light toast American Oak chips
5/02/2011 SG 1.005 before racking
5/02/2011 SG 1.010 after adding honey water and oak

Sounds tasty. The only thing I would have recommended is using cider for the entire 5 gal instead of topping off with water.

Sounds tasty. The only thing I would have recommended is using cider for the entire 5 gal instead of topping off with water.

I started topping off with water years ago when I did a batch with 5 gallons and just the honey and brown sugar to a 6 gallon batch and my SG was 1.2 and my fermintation got stuck, that's why I add the extra honey at rackings and I haven't had a problem since

I just thought it might not give much of an apple taste in the final product. I would have used cider instead of water and scaled back on some of the honey and sugar! To each their own I guess. Let us know how it goes, it sounds really good!

Sounds magnificent! I was looking for a good cyser recipe.
Have you ever tried this recipe without the cranberries? I imagine the honey flavor might be stronger that way, especially if you're using clover honey. And since you have lemon juice in there already, you could still give it a nice degree of acidity to balance it.
Then again, for a holiday drink this seems like the perfect blend of flavors--maybe I just have warm-weather drinks on my mind.

Sounds magnificent! I was looking for a good cyser recipe.
Have you ever tried this recipe without the cranberries? I imagine the honey flavor might be stronger that way, especially if you're using clover honey. And since you have lemon juice in there already, you could still give it a nice degree of acidity to balance it.
Then again, for a holiday drink this seems like the perfect blend of flavors--maybe I just have warm-weather drinks on my mind.

yes this is the first time for me with the cranberries and kegging it, I have been making it without for 20 years bottled and it is always a croud pleaser

Back