HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Sweet cider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 3

One more question: Still or Sparkling?

Primary:

Kegged: Rauchbier; BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Fir tip Maibock; Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #12
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I made something similar to this last night.

4.5 gallons juice (1.050 OG)
30 ounces honey ~ 2.75 lb ~ 1.41 OG
Nottingham yeast
Will ferment at 65

I calculated the OG to be 1.068, measuring wouldn't have helped since the honey sank to the bottom, but I know the yeast will find it

The juice was cold so I was setting at 55 degrees when said and done, it is in the basement in my fermentation freezer with the probe tapped to it. Read 58 degrees this morning so I put a hot water bottle in there to warm it up and then the freezer will kick on if it gets above 67.

My plan is to sample it each day and when I get down near 1.013 or so I'll turn the freezer down to 34 and drop out the yeast, transfer to secondary and add a small amount of potassium sorbate and metisulfate, most yeast should be left in the primary. After a week or so (or until it clears) I'll transfer to keg.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 11-22-2008, 04:30 AM   #13
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

My apple juice was unfiltered (really cloudy), so I'm wondering if my cider (cyser, according to the BJCP) will turn out cloudy, especially since I used hefe yeast. Or will it all settle out and clear?

Conpewter, if the honey sank and you didn't shake or otherwise aerate your must, I bet your OG was probably higher. Perhaps you should heat some juice next time and dissolve the honey. Or shake the heck out of it once everything's in the fermenter.

Primary:

Kegged: Rauchbier; BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Fir tip Maibock; Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Old 11-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #14
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I think you will get cloudy cider from reading the results in the Apfelwein thread. On the other hand you could probably use gelatin to remove the cloudyness.

I don't really see a reason to heat the juice and honey. It will dissolve as it sits in there. I didn't take a reading of the mixture. I found out the volume of honey, the SG of the honey then I measured the SG of the juice (before going into the fermenter) and the volume of the juice, using these values I calculated out the OG of the mixture, since you are correct that it would be hard to get the honey to mix in. I can report back how this turned out.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 11-26-2008, 03:46 AM   #15
vapor2020
Recipes 

I thought it was pretty tasty a month in. Of course it gets better with time, but the ale yeast doesn't produce as many off- flavors and smells that need to age out as a cider or champagne yeast does.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:00 AM   #16
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Okay, so I'm looking at probably somewhere around New Year. Maybe ready by Christmas (I can fit it in as part of my grandfather's Christmas present!) How long can sweet cider last? I read somewhere that sweet ciders don't have the shelf stability of drier examples. Is this true? I'll probably drink it all before I have to worry about it, but for future reference...

Primary:

Old 12-04-2008, 04:36 PM   #17
smitherz
Recipes 

Hi I'm new to homebrew and my first attempt of cider turned out very bitter and dry (aparently thats what proper cider tastes like) but it was not to my liking. I want to try somethign sweeter so came aross your reipe, how much yeast shousl I use (fr a 5gal bath) and what is Molasses?

thanks
smitherz

Old 12-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #18
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitherz View Post
Hi I'm new to homebrew and my first attempt of cider turned out very bitter and dry (aparently thats what proper cider tastes like) but it was not to my liking. I want to try somethign sweeter so came aross your reipe, how much yeast shousl I use (fr a 5gal bath) and what is Molasses?

thanks
smitherz
Link to Molasses. Like grits, it's a southern thing. It's extremely thick, more so than honey but tastes more like syrup. My family will heat it up and throw a ton of butter in, stir and eat biscuits. Up north I think they use it for cattle feed. There is a harshness to it that I do not particularly care for.

Back to the topic. I'm also interested in a 'sweet' cider and wish to get some feedback on those that made this. How long does it need to age? What's the shelf-life in a bottle (or a keg maybe)?

Thanks -

Old 12-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #19
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'll be bottling this today, giving a few as gifts for Christmas. I'll give you some feedback on this once I get it bottled, carbed, and sampled.

Primary:

Old 12-26-2008, 10:00 PM   #20
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Okay, I bottled this one. So, I used Danstar Munich yeast (Danstar's dry hefeweizen yeast), and it dried my cider out waaaaay more than I was hoping. Started at 1060, finished at 1002! Apparently this yeast is heartier than liquid strains. It was still pretty tasty and cleared wonderfully, but a sweet cider it is not! I've got it maturing in the bottle, though I opted for a still cider (read "I forgot to put in the priming sugar.") I'll definitely have to try this one again with a liquid yeast.

Primary:

Quick Reply