Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Spiced apple cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #21
Newsman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 4582

Hmm... I just bought 5 gallons of reconstituted apple juice in the store yesterday. I also have a tin (3.5 oz / 99g) of Instant Mulling Spice. It's about 3 years out of date, but it has never been opened. Think it's any good? The recipe calls for 1 tablespoon of mulling spice to a quart of juice. I was thinking of maybe dumping the whole thing into the secondary. I thought I might get an additional container or two of concentrated frozen apple juice to add extra sweetness and flavor. Also thought about trying to make some syrup to add extra sugar using light brown sugar, or would it be better to use something like dark Karo (corn) syrup to add flavor and fermentables?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #22
Newsman
Recipes 

Anyone think this would make a good spiced cider? I'm thinking about ordering a couple of these and putting them in the secondary. What do you folks think? Ingredients list: Cinnamon, orange peel, lemon peel, cranberry, vanilla extract, orange oil, star anise, cardimom and cloves.

Last edited by Newsman; 01-20-2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: add ingredients

Old 01-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #23
jackfrost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

That sounds great but I would make a regular cider then steep the spice in a little water and brown sugar get up to 120°f set for 1 hour strain then add what u need to get desired sweetness and flavor

Old 01-22-2013, 12:55 AM   #24
MarkKF
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Here is my cinnamon apple cider. 2 weeks in the primary. 2 months in the secondary.

image-1114549173.jpg  

Old 01-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #25
LandoAllen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsman View Post
Anyone think this would make a good spiced cider? I'm thinking about ordering a couple of these and putting them in the secondary. What do you folks think? Ingredients list: Cinnamon, orange peel, lemon peel, cranberry, vanilla extract, orange oil, star anise, cardimom and cloves.
I think that sounds like a good choice of spices but it seems a bit steep on the price... But I'd say give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfrost View Post
That sounds great but I would make a regular cider then steep the spice in a little water and brown sugar get up to 120°f set for 1 hour strain then add what u need to get desired sweetness and flavor
I also agree that steeping in water is a better way to extract some flavor from the spices. I would also say to add the spice concoction to the secondary to retain as much spice flavor as possible otherwise you simply are wasting spice. I have also heard of people steeping their spices in brandy, vodka, or rum for a few weeks to draw out the flavor better before adding to their cider. I have done this method with oak chips in rum before and it worked great.

I just finished drinking all of my spiced cider I bottled last December. Sadly I only made two gallons because it was an experimental batch. It was so tasty that this batch only lasted two weeks after bottling. I didn't even get a chance to age it because everyone like it so much that the bottles were gone in no time. The spices I used were: cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla extract, almond extract, and orange zest. I also made a pumpkin cider with virtually the same recipe but I added pumpkin pure to the spices when they were simmering and steeping on the stove. If anyone is interested I can post the recipes.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #26
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Lando, i'd be interested to compare against my own cideer I just made. I'll post as well.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #27
Bluespark
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

I was able to get two gallons of apple juice for $4 at my local supermarket, a month away from expiry date. I was told by my family that I needed to make more of the original batch, so I used the first recipe, used 1122 which I had on hand and added a couple tonga beans. Will update.

I love all the ideas and Mark, your cider looks great!

Old 01-23-2013, 05:10 AM   #28
LandoAllen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

SPICED CIDER

START DATE: 10-31-12
RACKING DATE: 11-13-12
COLD CRASHING DATE: 12-19-12
BOTTLING DATE: 12-22-12

Batch Size: 2 gallons
FERMENTATION TEMP: 70F
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.000
YEAST USED: Half of a package of Red Star Pasteur Champagne (about 2.5 grams). No yeast starter made.

2 gallons of fresh unpasteurized cider with no preservatives from a local orchard
-added campden tablet 24 hours prior to pithing yeast

After Waiting 24 hours:
2 tsp Fermax Yeast Nutrient
1 tsp pectin enzyme added to juice

Racked into secondary after 2 weeks. And then added in the spices which consisted of:

Simmered/steeped on stove on low heat for 45 minutes:
2 cups of water
3 tsp ground pumpkin pie spice
1 ½ tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground nutmeg
3 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp almond extract

I let the spices cool to room temp and added into the carboy. Shook carboy up really good to mix in the spices. Let sit for a little over a month in secondary before cold crashing for three days. I back-sweetened with the same cider I started with that I had frozen and bottled.

The cider smelled amazing when bottling and after pouring into a glass from the bottle! The taste was very smooth and very drinkable while young. I did have a problem with the clarity for some reason though. Also I experimented with using K-meta and sorbate doses to stop the yeast to make a flat cider but for some reason it didn’t stop the yeast. I used the recommended doses and everything so I ended up just putting the bottles in the fridge and left them there till I drank them up.

The pumpkin one I did was the same recipe except I opened up a can of Kroger brand pumpkin pure and added into the spices while steeping on the stove for 45 min. I personally liked the spiced cider over the pumpkin but some of my friends preferred the pumpkin. I do have to say that I liked my pumpkin cider so much better than Woodchuck Pumpkin Private Reserve that I got the idea from and compared tastes to.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #29
Newsman
Recipes 

I have a tin of "Instant Mulling Spice" which has cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, sugar, dextrose, orange and lemon peel in it. It's about 3 years past the "best before" date. Thinking of adding it in the primary since it's got sugars in it and maybe adding a cinnamon stick a couple cloves and such in the secondary. Also in the primary, thinking of adding a couple cans of thawed frozen apple juice concentrate to bulk up the fermentables, and maybe back-sweeten a bit with another can of concentrated un-reconstituted apple juice. What do y'all think?

My local HBS suggested the spices would probably still be good, even 3 years out of date. The tin has been sealed since I bought it. The tin is 3.5 oz, and the instructions for non-alcoholic cider are to add 1 Tbsp / quart of cider. The way I figure it, there's 20 quarts per 5 gallons of juice and this tin should be just about enough to handle that much juice.

Thoughts/suggestions/comments???

Old 01-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #30
LandoAllen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsman

Thoughts/suggestions/comments???
Well spices rarely ever go "bad" since there is no water content for microorganisms to thrive on. But spices do loose their potency and loose some flavoring as time goes on so this is just one thing to keep in mind. With that said I would suggest two things:

1. Steeping the spices before adding them as mentioned above.
2. Adding the spices to the secondary rather than the primary.

Quick Reply