pH for fermenting cider (malic acid and precipitated chalk)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naeco

Reaction score
I will be picking up my freshly pressed unpasteurized cider this sunday and found this info on the web. Is this something I should do and if so, when ... before fermentation right?

pH should be in the range 3.9 to 4.0. To lower the pH add malic acid (the principal acid in cider). To raise the pH add precipitated chalk.

In my opinion, NO! Some things need some chalk, like rhubarb. But otherwise, you rarely need chalk in your must.

There are a couple of yeast strains that help reduce malic acid (like Lalvins 71B Norbonne, I believe) so if the acid is too harsh you could add it. I also wouldn't add malic acid- apples are pretty high in malic as it is. If you need more acid for flavor, you can add some later on. Or add a bit of lemon juice (citric acid) if the taste is flabby and needs more acid.

Its not a terrible idea to test for pH when doing ciders. Esp when considering the sulphur addition. Andrew Lea has some good advice on pH too. From what I've been reading, most cider makers will tend to blend different juices to get the right pH instead of adding acid or chalk. Most American apple varieties have a pretty high acid content, so more than likely, you will fall in the 3.2 to 3.8 range.

Instead of buying a pH tester, you could also buy narrow range pH strips. My LHBS has wine and beer ones. The wine ones go from 2.8-4.2. I've been contemplatig getting a meter. They have some pretty cheap ones in the $30 USD range. I've read mixed reviews, so I havent pulled the trigger though.

Edcculus, I foud the answer using your link:

A desirable juice pH range for cider-making is say 3.2 - 3.8.

In terms of total titratable acid (as malic), we should be looking for 0.3 - 0.5% in a cider juice.

Thanks !

Latest posts

Back