Oaking a NE Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTBrewer

Reaction score
I have a cider from fresh pressed apples at local orchard. Measured 1.048, added 2 pounds brown sugar, 1 pound dextrin and a cup of mollasses. Wyeast cider yeast (oh, used campden for 48 hours first) and it fermented way down to .995 in a few weeks. (10/17 - 11/4). So on the 4th I racked to secondary and added 3.5 oz dark toast oak chips from LHBS.

I tasted today, 4.5 days into oaking and it is quite noticable in taste and smell, and good. I was planning on leaving on the oak for a month though.

is it going to get ridiculous? How drinkable will it be (serving it still) in the bottle after a month on oak and just a week in bottle? What about after say 4 months in the bottle? Is one month on this amount of oak unusual?

I have a cider from fresh pressed apples at local orchard. Measured 1.048, added 2 pounds brown sugar, 1 pound dextrin and a cup of mollasses. Wyeast cider yeast (oh, used campden for 48 hours first) and it fermented way down to .995 in a few weeks. (10/17 - 11/4). So on the 4th I racked to secondary and added 3.5 oz dark toast oak chips from LHBS.

I tasted today, 4.5 days into oaking and it is quite noticable in taste and smell, and good. I was planning on leaving on the oak for a month though.

is it going to get ridiculous? How drinkable will it be (serving it still) in the bottle after a month on oak and just a week in bottle? What about after say 4 months in the bottle? Is one month on this amount of oak unusual?

What kind of volume of cider did you start with. Thats a heap of sugar there.

Yes, the oak will get ridiculous if you let it. If it's already noticeably, you should go ahead and rack off of it. It will subside a bit with age, but the experts say to oak it until it's just a little too much then rack immediately. The experts also say it's better to use less oak for a longer time than big quantities for a short amount of time. Also, the darker the toast level, the quicker it affects your drink.

There's an oak link in the Ingredients Sticky in the Recipe/Ingredients forum, not in first post but on page 1. It's got some science in it.

Back