Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > NOOB Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2009, 02:10 AM   #11
Snuffalupagus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

wow... maybe i should try fermenting a flat can of full throttle blue deamon - always wondered what that would do (if not for the perservatives)

Drinking: "All Apple" Apfelwein, Mixed Berry Country wine, Blueberry Belgian White ale.

comming to a carboy near you...
Redhook ESB clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #12
HarmonKillABrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Boil the Apple Juice First?

I'm about to brew my first hard cider. As with many things when it comes to the details of process, I'm getting conflicting information from various sources; do I need to boil my apple juice before putting it in the primary fermenter and pitching the yeast (Nottingham) or not? I don't care either way, I just want to maximize my chances for making a tasty, refreshing cider on my first attempt.

While I'm waiting for a friend to have time to help, I'm getting so antsy to get started that the Hobo Method on the Wiki is starting to sound damned tempting....

Old 02-25-2009, 10:12 PM   #13
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Never ever ever ever boil juice. You may want to kill off any wild yeasts or bacteria, but you can do that with less then boiling temps (I still don't like to heat juice) or with chemical additives, such as 1 campden tablet crushed per gallon 24 hours prior to pitching your yeast. If you heat your juice too much it will set the pectins, this is how you make jams and jellies not ciders. If the pectins become set, you cider will likely never clear and will have floaties in it forever.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #14
HarmonKillABrew
Recipes 

If it has any bearing, I'll be using store-bought apple juice (only preservative being the venerable Vitamin C) and not "cider style" apple juice (which is usually hazy, etc.).

BTW, I'm loving hearing that answer because my brewpot won't accommodate 5 gallons of juice at once, and the prospect of boiling and cooling all that juice in smaller batches wasn't floating my boat.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #15
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Well if you are using store bought, preservative free, pasteurized juice then you should be fine and dont need to worry too much. But I personally don't ever heat juice.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #16
HarmonKillABrew
Recipes 

Thanks for the perspective, Tusch. Anyone else out there with thoughts on boiling store-bought, preservative-free, pasteurized, filtered juice? I know that one should never boil unpasteurized, unfiltered juice for the reasons stated above...

I'm just a bit perplexed by the recommendation in one of my books that you should boil pres-free, pasteurized, filtered juice. I'm guessing that it's to decrease the likelihood of unintentional fermentative potential brought about by wild yeast strains. So, how does that make NOT boiling the unfiltered, unpasteurized stuff okay or "safe," given that the primary unwanted effect of boiling is to create permanent haze/floaties (which don't adversely affect taste!)?

My homebrewing books are indispensable resources, but I value the input of this Forum over their recommendations, especially in cider matters, given that cider homebrewing has only recently been resumed on a significant scale. After all, the book I'm reading was published in the mid-nineties, and you guys and gals have been brewing up a storm since then!

Slainte,
Harmon

Quick Reply