How fastidious when sorting apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clengman

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to press my first batch of apples and I'm wondering just how careful I need to be when sorting my fruit. I can spot a fungusy apple pretty easily, and I have very few of them to begin with.

Buggy/wormy apples are a different story. I don't spray my apples so most have some worm holes. When eating them fresh I have a pretty high tolerance for the "extra protein." I'm not sure though if I should be more careful about excluding this material from my cider. I'm not squeamish about it, but I don't want my effort to be wasted if the bugs and the frass might impart an off taste to the final product.

I appreciate any advice.

There isn't any correct answer, be as thorough as practical with regard to production time and efficiency. Every batch of raw juice has some bugs and insects included so it can't be the end of the world. If it makes you nervous, hit the juice with a high dose of sulfites and use an aggressive yeast.

I figured it was something like that.

I decided to just go for it today and completed my first pressing! Just about 5 pounds of apples that I put through a kitchenaid food grinder then pressed by hand through a pillow case. I was surprised at how quickly the machine got through them. It didn't have to work hard at all. The juice tastes pretty good, too.

So that was my proof of principle. I think I might be ready to scale up a little. :)

I throw out all rotten fruit and cut out bruises spots. Typically I cut each apple in half and make a quick assessment. Small damage is ok, big critters and rot are not for me. The fresh cider keeps longer with a little care.

Back