Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Get ready for the rebirth of cider in America.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #21
gregbathurst
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teromous View Post
What are the laws of selling cider in Australia? Is there a limit on the quantity?
Liquor laws are a state responsibility. In my state it is legal to make and sell cider as a producer as long as you grow the fruit yourself. If your sales are under $1million you don't have to pay excise. You can get a license to sell cider from bought fruit but it is more difficult and expensive, and you have to pay excise. Producers are allowed to sell their cider at the "cellar door" and also at farmers markets. Cider is treated the same as wine, I'm not really sure but I don't think adding sugar would be legal, would need to be pure juice, which is fine by me.

There is no limit to quantity you can make or sell.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #22
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbathurst View Post
I'm not really sure but I don't think adding sugar would be legal, would need to be pure juice, which is fine by me.
It's called chaptalization. Wikipedia has a list of countries in which it is legal and illegal in, if it is up to date. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaptalization

When it comes to cider and wine, I'm in the no chaptalization camp, though I will back sweeten, which is different. Still not sure how I feel about it with other fruit fermentation drinks other than mead.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #23
gregbathurst
Recipes 

The word chaptalization only applies to grape wine, I know that is illegal in Australia but I'm not sure about apples.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:24 AM   #24
staggerlee
Recipes 

Re: BC ciders:

The Sea Ciders I've had have been pretty iffy (although a damn sight better than the mass-market alcopops they try to call cider), but Red Roof from Oliver makes a very nice, tart cider and Merridale from Vancouver Island has a range of craft ciders from the merely tasty to the truly excellent.

I'm not sure if you can get them in any private stores around the province, but in Vancouber they're all available at Brewery Creek on Main Street.

Primary: Neighbourhood Scrumpy Cider
Primary: Gewurz II
Primary: Strong, Dark, and Belgian
Primary: Duvel clone attempt
Drinking (keg): NEU! Alt
Drinking (keg): Armpit
Drinking (keg): Sparkling Gewurz
Drinking (keg): Someone's Sour Cider
Drinking (bottles): Saison 12
Drinking (bottles): CFP Porter
Drinking (bottles): WFP Porter
On Deck: Cloudish Yeller II
On Deck: Bam Biere clone

Old 01-16-2010, 04:20 AM   #25
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Greg - No yearly limit and no tax up to 1M in alcohol revenues for orchards? That sounds like the Promised Land. What's the catch? Is there good apple country around Perth?

The article about Poverty Lane Orchards was really interesting in that it described how they let their apples sit on the ground. It sounds like its a combination of mainly four factors: type of apple, climate, types of critters/parasites and the post harvest quality control that determine whether this can be successful. From personal experience, I'd be more concerned about mold, slugs and maggots getting to it, as we can get some warmish humid nights here through November, but I can see how this could work in a drier climate that is also cold enough so most of the insect population is killed off earlier.

This year Albemarle CiderWorks opened up just down the road from here. They were running a vintage apple orchard before opening their cidery. Their cider is good and has been popular, which is good to see http://www.vintagevirginiaapples.com/ Foggy Ridge is another great Virginia cidery. Their Sweet Stayman is my favorite commercial cider. http://www.foggyridgecider.com/our-cider/our-cider

Yan, does Northern Spy grow where you are? That is a good cider apple that likes cold climates and they are good eating too.

I hope cider will keep catching on so orchards will plant more cider apple trees. The main orchard I go to has been phasing out its Winesaps, which is a bummer, but unfortunately they dont get enough demand for them. On the plus side they are doing more Pink Lady which makes great cider. A lot of orchards around here switched to red and golden delicious a generation ago because the juice yields were higher. Now they are switching back to varieties with more flavor because they cant compete with the Chinese for bulk and people are getting more educated about apples. This year was the first time I've seen Northern Spy, Albemarle Pippin and Black Twig locally available as cider grade apples. I hope the trend continues.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:12 AM   #26
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Kevin the only catch is that aussies don't drink much cider. Apples grow fine in Perth, Pink Lady was bred near Perth. There is some great country south of perth, good vineyards and surf as well.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:49 AM   #27
Yan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerlee View Post
Re: BC ciders:

The Sea Ciders I've had have been pretty iffy (although a damn sight better than the mass-market alcopops they try to call cider), but Red Roof from Oliver makes a very nice, tart cider and Merridale from Vancouver Island has a range of craft ciders from the merely tasty to the truly excellent.

I'm not sure if you can get them in any private stores around the province, but in Vancouber they're all available at Brewery Creek on Main Street.
Oliver! That's just over a hill from me. I'll have to check it out for sure. Thanks.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #28
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 946 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 2578

Quote:
Originally Posted by CvilleKevin View Post
The main orchard I go to has been phasing out its Winesaps, which is a bummer, but unfortunately they dont get enough demand for them. On the plus side they are doing more Pink Lady which makes great cider. A lot of orchards around here switched to red and golden delicious a generation ago because the juice yields were higher. Now they are switching back to varieties with more flavor because they cant compete with the Chinese for bulk and people are getting more educated about apples. This year was the first time I've seen Northern Spy, Albemarle Pippin and Black Twig locally available as cider grade apples. I hope the trend continues.
Kevin: Have you, or have you heard of anyone making cider from [I]Honeycrisp[I] apples? I'm curious as to the results. Regards, GF.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:35 AM   #29
Austin_
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm all for the return of cider in America. I love beer, but I also love me some cider, and not that sixer stuff.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:44 AM   #30
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

Speaking of readily available commercial cider, is Harpoon's any good? I see it all the time, but never pull the trigger.

Quick Reply