Ester Flavors Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kennelmouth

Reaction score
I am a newer brewer, have only done beer so far. My brother-in-law, who has never brewed anything, wants to do a cider and I have the equipment he needs. My brewing experience so far has been a series of lessons in "what not to do" but I am wondering if a beer brewing mistake I made might actually be a good thing in cider.

My last brew, a red rye, got too hot and the wort fermented in a day and a half. I was told that a fermentation that occurred that fast would produce a lot of Ester compounds that would likely yield a fruity or bubblegummy flavor. While this is not a flavor profile that is desirable in my beer, I wonder if it might be nice in a cider but I really don't want to screw up his first attempt, especially since he is relying on my slightly-greater experience. What do you guys think?

It is not normally a preferred flavor profile in cider either... Most people brew ciders at lower temps to avoid those particular compounds being produced.

Back