New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Esopus Spitzenburg and other cicer apples

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
sashurlow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Esopus Spitzenburg and other cicer apples

I realize the Spitzenburg is not the ideal cider apples, but it is listed in the category.
Yesterday I went to a large orchard to pick some different varieties and Spitzenburg was one of them. I was not really impressed by it. I was told that it will sweeten up after picking. Should I let it sit a week before grinding and pressing?
I also tried another cider variety (Harry Masters Jersey) and thought it was mostly bland. Is this normal?
I ended up with Roxbury Russet, Spizenburg, Harry Masters Jersy, Wickson Crab, Golden Supreme, Crispin, maybe a few Golden Russets and a few stray others. Next weekend I'm hoping to hit up some other varieties (Brown snout and Dabinet). http://www.champlainorchards.com/?page_id=58

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ideally, all apples are 'sweat' for at least a couple of weeks before pressing to allow for some starches to convert to sugars. depending on how many apples you have and how big your fridge is this may or may not be convenient.

I'm pretty impressed with your list there. You're truly lucky to have such great cider apples available.

It can be rather hard to judge what the quality of cider an apple will produce by simply tasting it raw without considerable experience. Even then, tasting mainly helps to identify the positives or negatives characteristics of that specific fruit such as aroma, acidity, tannin content etc.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
sashurlow
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

So a question on "Sweat"ing. Does is matter if they are whole fruit or ground up. Does it matter if they are room temp, refrigerated, or frozen? If the process is enzymatic, I'd imagine it should be warm enough to prevent rotting. I have an unused freezer that could easily be cooled down with a couple bags of ice.
LeBreton... From your link I noticed you like Northern Spy. Its my goal to finish my blend with nothern spy.

Quick Reply