clearing and carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fekoljabut

Reaction score
After 3 weeks it stopped fermenting, racked it and now i will wait until it clears out and then fill the bottles, prime it with sugar, wait until carbonates and then pasteurize. Question is: there will be enough yeast left after clearing and bottling to carbonate? I mean, if it's clear there is no yeast in it?

What priming sugar do you have? If they are not carb tabs it is better to make a sugar solution and add it to the bottling bucket and rack the beer in making a swirl. It is very difficult to measure accurately to each individual bottle.

Pasteurizing? That is not a usual homebrewing step.

You will have plenty of yeast in suspension for bottle conditioning. Go 3 weeks at room temperature then chill a bottle. If it is properly carbed - consume, if not wait another week and test again.

Ah, ok then :) am i doing everything right? It's not my first cider but it's my first with proper equipment so i'm trying to do everything "by the book".

kh54s10 is correct that you would not need to pasteurize the cider IF you let it ferment out dry AND only added the needed amount of sugar for carbonating.

The only time you need to pasteurize is if you are attempting to bottle carbonate cider that you would like to keep sweeter with unfermented sugars as described in the stickied thread by pappers in the cider forum. This will kill the yeast and stop them from consuming all the sugars in the cider.

I have cold crashed a cider for three days and it became quite clear, stirred in my priming sugar and had no problem carbonating. It did take 3-5 weeks to get to my desired level but as with all home brewing patience pays.

What priming sugar do you have? If they are not carb tabs it is better to make a sugar solution and add it to the bottling bucket and rack the beer in making a swirl. It is very difficult to measure accurately to each individual bottle.

Pasteurizing? That is not a usual homebrewing step.

You will have plenty of yeast in suspension for bottle conditioning. Go 3 weeks at room temperature then chill a bottle. If it is properly carbed - consume, if not wait another week and test again.

I meant to make sugar solution like you said and mix with all and then fill the bottles. I will pasteurize because instead of sugar i will mix cider with apple concentrate to backsweeten and carbonate, so it will be too much sugar in the solution and i want to stop fermentation in the bottles when it reaches satisfying carbonation level (plastic bottle trick for checking carbonation).

Back