Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > cider press

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
fimbo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default cider press

hi all
i want to make some cider using apples not shop carton juice and i was wondering if any one had a simple design for a press.
also do i need to crush the apples before i put them in to a press

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2006, 09:44 PM   #2
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It depends on the quantity of apples you want to play with.

If you really want to build one yourself try this - http://freespace.virgin.net/roger.simmonds/press.htm
You'll need a small hydraulic car jack (which aren't expensive)and then putting the 'pomice' (chopped apple) in a muslin/nylon sheet or bag to press them.
Chopping the apples first is way to go, you'll extract more juice. Depends how many apples you have - a food processor handles small amounts but for bigger quantities consider a clean garden shredder (i.e. small wood chipper!) to do it faster.

Old 09-09-2006, 05:37 PM   #3
Muntzster
Recipes 

I would like to try this .

Old 03-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
wscott823
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caplan View Post
It depends on the quantity of apples you want to play with.

If you really want to build one yourself try this - http://freespace.virgin.net/roger.simmonds/press.htm
You'll need a small hydraulic car jack (which aren't expensive)and then putting the 'pomice' (chopped apple) in a muslin/nylon sheet or bag to press them.
Chopping the apples first is way to go, you'll extract more juice. Depends how many apples you have - a food processor handles small amounts but for bigger quantities consider a clean garden shredder (i.e. small wood chipper!) to do it faster.
Link appears to be dead brother
Bottled: Sparkling Ambrosia, Chai Graff, Cerberus Barleywine, Jamil's Evil Twin, Chinook IPA
Planned Brews: Devil's Serum (Golden Strong Ale)

Make Your Own Belgian Candi Syrup

Old 03-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There is a set of plans for a 'slatted basket' press in the book Real Cidermaking On a Small Scale by Michael Pooley and John Lomax. I think it also takes a car jack.

There is some reading here: http://www.cider.org.uk/press.htm

Old 03-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

A search on google will show plenty of designs,especially google images.Youtube has lots of videos to show how to do it.As mentioned, A car jack supplies the power and a garden shredder is good for milling the apples, for cloth I use mosquito netting because its easy to clean.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have heard of garbage disposals working as a mill.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:25 AM   #8
WolvinMaine
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I can attest to the garbage disposal working well. I built a grinder from a new garbage disposal, a 1 HP electric motor I got cheap off ebay, and some scrap wood. Where I live, there are "feral" and wild apple trees everywhere, and since it is hard to find the right tartness and tannins in most commercially grown apples, I wanted to try these guys. Thus, I needed a grinder and press. I had tried a food processor, but it was just to slow for the amount of apples I collected. I got the idea and plans for the grinder from Whizbang Cider, just google it and check it out if you are interested.

The problem with the garbage disposal is the motor, it will overheat unless you swap it out with something more robust. I know alot of garbage disposals have 3/4 and 1 hp rated motors, but not all 1hp motors are created equal, and thus the problem. However, the grind is great, a little thicker then applesauce. I used a few old cotton pillow cases to form the cheeses, and used a bottle jack to provide the pressure. I think it worked well, and I am already waiting for the fall to do it again!

Old 03-19-2010, 04:50 AM   #9
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 350 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Core if you don't want the tannins from the crushed seeds (or just don't press as hard) then mill and press. You can buy a jack if you don't have one, then press it in a rig made from wood (home depot/lowes) or use a shop press if you have one...lots of options. I saw a mill made from a wood cylinder with nails/screws, there are ones that you can hook up to an electric drill...garbage disposal sounds best but I'm pretty sure I'd wind up inside it if my wife found out I bought one for cider.

A note about the car jack...if you don't have a hydraulic jack for your car already, it is a life saver. Much better than the regular old jack. You can knock out 2 birds with one stone by buying one. Just make sure you make a strong frame for your press

Quick Reply