Cider Over-Carbonating Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keegster1120

Reaction score
Hi Ya'll
I've been lurking around the forums for awhile sucking up info and know-how from you guys :) I just had a quick question..
I bottled up a 3.2ish gallon batch of cider today after fermenting for about a month and a half. I fermented it using Notty Ale Yeast and the FG at bottling was 1.008. Me being new to this art and not doing my homework, I read a lot of posts on this forum saying that ale yeasts can ferment out to 1.000 in hard cider. I added around 2.25 oz of priming sugar to the bottling bucket and bottled up. (I made the mistake of taking the FG of 1.008 AFTER adding the priming sugar, so the cider was probably lower in gravity before adding) so:
1. Is there any chance up these bottles fermenting out the remaining sugar in the cider plus, the priming sugar and getting overcharged and explosive? Or

2. Is the hydrometer reading false because of it being taken after the priming sugar was added?
Your advice is appreciated. I also thought that if they are on the verge of overcharging, I can always use the stove top pasteurization method in the sticky to stop fermentation.

Your priming sugar added about 2 points. I'm guessing there is something wrong with your hydrometer reading, because cider normally ends up below 1.000.

Was this straight cider or did you add sugar? OG?

Hi Ya'll
I've been lurking around the forums for awhile sucking up info and know-how from you guys :) I just had a quick question..
I bottled up a 3.2ish gallon batch of cider today after fermenting for about a month and a half. I fermented it using Notty Ale Yeast and the FG at bottling was 1.008. Me being new to this art and not doing my homework, I read a lot of posts on this forum saying that ale yeasts can ferment out to 1.000 in hard cider. I added around 2.25 oz of priming sugar to the bottling bucket and bottled up. (I made the mistake of taking the FG of 1.008 AFTER adding the priming sugar, so the cider was probably lower in gravity before adding) so:
1. Is there any chance up these bottles fermenting out the remaining sugar in the cider plus, the priming sugar and getting overcharged and explosive? Or

2. Is the hydrometer reading false because of it being taken after the priming sugar was added?
Your advice is appreciated. I also thought that if they are on the verge of overcharging, I can always use the stove top pasteurization method in the sticky to stop fermentation.

After about a month fermentation probably (I say probably, not certainly) stopped. There probably isn't that much remaining sugar in the cider. That said, 2.25oz for 3.2 gallons is actually a little low in my expectations. So if anything I'm guessing you might run the risk of under-carbing.

And yes, hydrometer reading will be off but not by much.

Your priming sugar added about 2 points. I'm guessing there is something wrong with your hydrometer reading, because cider normally ends up below 1.000.

Was this straight cider or did you add sugar? OG?

I did not add any sugar. I started this brew before I purchased my hydrometer, so I don't have an OG for you, but the must was just made up of store-bought unfiltered apple juice (Whole Foods 1 gal jug stuff) so the OG would probably have been similar to any other straight cider

Back