Cider Equipment Maintenance >newbie question<

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trislave3

Reaction score
I picked up a Fruit press at a yard sale a while back, and the slats on the barrel are a but weather worn, with some dirt caked on them. I am obviously going to spray it off with a hose, but the wood looks a bit worse for the wear, and while I could sand the front and back of each slat, i am not going to be able to get into the juice groves.
How worried about this should I be?
Should I sterilize the press/barrel before pressing?
Should I get new slats, and then coat them with Enviro-Tec Lite? (Food Grade 2 part epoxy)

Suggestions?

I'd clean it thoroughly with a sanitizing cleaner and a brush. Many cleaners will work fine such as B-brite, Straight A, Oxy-clean, or a solution of automatic dishwasher detergent. There's probably no need to replace the slats unless they're seriously deteriorated. Most used presses and press baskets show quite a bit of staining. If you have the time, refinishing the wood and coating with a sealer like what you mentioned will make it easier to clean in the future.

I always keep a sanitizing solution of potassium metabisulfite in a plastic spray bottle. I spray all my equipment (and usually rinse it off) just before using it.

Back