Carbonating in Perrier Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluespark

Reaction score
I have a batch of cider that's just finished, is very dry and still. I was thinking about carbonating a couple bottles as an experiment, and I have a couple Perrier bottles here.
Would it be alright to bottle it in the Perrier bottles and one plastic pop bottle(to test carbonation level), then stove top pasteurize?

if it has fermented dry then there should be no need to pasturize if you add the right amount of priming sugar. I use 1oz dextrose per gallon, but I always use pet bottles.

FWIW I had a buddy that worked at a pet bottle factory and told me that A&w root beer bottles are the same that they make and sell as comercail pet bottle for beer. I oxycleaned mine and they work pretty well

I just picked up some perrier from the store (on sale!) thought the bottles looked cool and I assume they could hold the carb pretty well, how did it turn out?

Well, I learned two lessons.

1) don't pasteurize the plastic soda bottle( can you tell I'm blond?)

2) during the stove top pasteurization the tops of the Perrier bottles domed up slightly with the pressure, causing the carbonation to slowly leak out over time. I drank the second one a week later and it was only slightly carbonated.

If you want to use these bottles I suggest maybe carbonate, then refrigerate for the short term and drink.

Thanks for the reply! Yea the caps seem a tad flimsy, I think i'll just pop em in the fridge, I don't plan on storing them for more than a week or 2. Refrigerating will slow the process down, but when they warm up it'll start up again, am I right?

You are right. I do that often with home made pop, carbonate until the bottle is hard, then stick it in the fridge. The yeast will go dormant and work very, very slowly, but they will get right back to it if you up the temperature.

Back