Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apfelwein smells like nail polish remover...?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
Gated312
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Apfelwein smells like nail polish remover...?

Hi all,

So I started this batch of apfelwein about 4 weeks ago. It's about a 6 gallon batch, and is the standard recipe for the apple cider save for some pomegranate juice.

5 gallons AJ
2 litres Pom
1 lb Corn Sugar
1 Pack Notty Yeast

After this long, I've hit my fg and it still hasn't cleared. More than anything, there is still some 'krausen' (or the apfelwein equivalent) sitting on top, and it has a nasty smell like nail polish remover - really sharp stuff. In the last week or two it has been stored at a bit higher temp than I would like. But because I've been gone for that time, I just forgot about it.

So what's goin' on in there? At this point, should I try cold crashing and see what happens? Or else just wait it out for another couple weeks.

Scott

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
ellicit
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

I had a similar situation with my Apfelwein, just let it sit at room temp for a couple more weeks. Eventually the cider cleared and the nail polish smell dissipated and it took another week for the krausen to go away too.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
ellicit
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

The cloudy look means it's still fermenting. The cooler the temp the longer it will take to finish, mine sat at 70F for 6 weeks.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
Gated312
Recipes 

Alright will do. Like is said I'm pretty sure I hit my fg, but I have to take a couple more readings. I'll let it sit regardless. I only asked because mine first batch of apfelwein fermented out and cleared in two weeks. Thanks.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nail polish remover smell is acetaldehyde, caused by oxidation. Add a heavy dose of camden to reduce it. During fermentation its not so bad, after fermentation its very hard (impossible) to get rid of. Basically you have a problem with your process - too much headspace, too much handling.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
Gated312
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbathurst View Post
Basically you have a problem with your process - too much headspace, too much handling.
Doubtful it's a problem with my process. It went straight into the ale pale and hasn't been touched for four weeks, and has only 3 inches of headspace. I clean and sanitize everything religiously, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Either way, I'll let it be and see what comes of it in the next week or so. If something disastrous does happen, I will be sure to let you know.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:34 AM   #7
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gated312 View Post
Doubtful it's a problem with my process. It went straight into the ale pale and hasn't been touched for four weeks, and has only 3 inches of headspace. I clean and sanitize everything religiously, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Either way, I'll let it be and see what comes of it in the next week or so. If something disastrous does happen, I will be sure to let you know.
3 inches of headspace in a bucket is too much. To mature cider and wine you need a narrow-neck demijohn type container filled to the top. If you had a perfect seal on your bucket and never opened it you might get away with 4 weeks.

With brewing and winemaking you have to recognise your mistakes, most people have problems with oxidation and acetaldehyde at some time, I know I have.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
Rockape66
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I try to maintain a ferment temp as close to 60*F as possible, and haven't had this problem.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
martinfan30
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbathurst View Post
Nail polish remover smell is acetaldehyde, caused by oxidation. Add a heavy dose of camden to reduce it. During fermentation its not so bad, after fermentation its very hard (impossible) to get rid of. Basically you have a problem with your process - too much headspace, too much handling.
Confused.... I thought Campden kills yeast? If you add a tab per gallon, aren't you officially ending fermentation?

I am 4 days into my first batch of Apfelwein, and I am noticing a nailpolish like odor. Should I add a lesser dose of Campden, or...?

I am doing this in a MRB keg...

Old 03-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
ellicit
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

It goes away, add nothing, leave it alone and walk away for 4 weeks minimum

Quick Reply