Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Age my cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2006, 11:37 AM   #1
Talcottsk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Age my cider

Does it matter if I age cider in really cold temps like 20F to 50F? I guess freezing would be a bad idea? How long should I age it? I've heard 3 months, too long too short or depends on the recipie??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2006, 07:03 PM   #2
Caplan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talcottsk
Does it matter if I age cider in really cold temps like 20F to 50F? I guess freezing would be a bad idea? How long should I age it? I've heard 3 months, too long too short or depends on the recipie??
Aging your cider in cold temps isn't a bad idea - obviously it'll need some 'warmth' if you want to carbonate it by priming it with sugar first before it gets chilled. I wouldn't however store it below freezing to age it. It'll crack your bottles/etc when the ice expands if your not careful for one thing. As for the length of aging i would say it depends on the recipe - the higher the alcohol level in the cider the longer it may take to mature

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply