Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > What corks to use for reclaimed 750ml Wine Bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
ITbrewer229
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default What corks to use for reclaimed 750ml Wine Bottles

I'm going to be making my first batch of mead (still mead) and am curious about corks since this is new territory for me.

I've been saving wine bottles for the mead. I see a good price on morebeer.com for Belgian 750ml corks and was wondering if anybody had any insight if these will work in standard 750ml wine bottles? Or is there some difference between Belgian corks and wine corks? I would think this is standard but wanted to ask before I assumed.

Thanks!

I have yet to make an "undrinkable" beer. I have however made a case of "lessons for the future" on occasion.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Do you have a good floor corker? Usually those are needed for getting the belgian corks into the bottles and can be kinda tricky. Additionally belgian beer bottles are very thick throughout, but especially at the neck. Not sure if a std wine bottle would stay intact as you are putting that much pressure on it. I'm not sure whether a belgian beer bottle has the same size opening as a wine bottle.

I would stick with standard #8 wine corks if you have one of the cheaper corkers (I have the one you hammer on the plunger). If you have a better floor corker or lever corker, you could probably use #9 corks which are a little larger. They should help combat air intrusion and limit long term oxidation vs a #8.

Primary #1: Empty #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3:Border Crossing Vienna
Kegged
: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Ice Shanty Bock

Old 03-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
ITbrewer229
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm looking at the Colonna capper/corker:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/c...er-corker.html

It looks like it's gotten decent reviews.

Ok, so for std wine bottles it looks like #9s are the way to go?

I have yet to make an "undrinkable" beer. I have however made a case of "lessons for the future" on occasion.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITbrewer229 View Post
I'm going to be making my first batch of mead (still mead) and am curious about corks since this is new territory for me.

I've been saving wine bottles for the mead. I see a good price on morebeer.com for Belgian 750ml corks and was wondering if anybody had any insight if these will work in standard 750ml wine bottles? Or is there some difference between Belgian corks and wine corks? I would think this is standard but wanted to ask before I assumed.

Thanks!
Belgians are 25.5mm x 44mm for use on Belgian beer bottles. Wine corks IIRC are 22-24mm and vary in legnths.

The cork quality depends on how long you plan on storing. I would use #9 diamond corks.

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

ITbrewer229 Likes This 
Old 03-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
ITbrewer229
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback, Inner10. Much appreciated.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have that tabletop corker and its very nice, it does a good job for both corking and beer capping. Its not as nice a corker as a floor model that has jaws that compress the cork from the sides all at once, this one squeezes the cork through kind of a funnel going into the bottle. Works well for synthetic corks. Size 9 is a better cork size, longer supposed to age longer. One nice thing about this corking is you can switch to the beer capper easily. We like to do a variety of different closures. We put in a few high quality corks for long term storage, some Zorks installed with the corker and even some new screw caps. This model has 2 beer bottle sizes, the larger one is nice to seat Zorks in very easily and straight. It can leave a big dimple in the cork since is squeezes it going through the funnel, you might have to take the adapter off sometimes and just give them a little push down with the corker to seat them deeper. All in all a nice multiuse corker/capper.

WVMJ

Old 03-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
ITbrewer229
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMJ View Post
I have that tabletop corker and its very nice, it does a good job for both corking and beer capping. Its not as nice a corker as a floor model that has jaws that compress the cork from the sides all at once, this one squeezes the cork through kind of a funnel going into the bottle. Works well for synthetic corks. Size 9 is a better cork size, longer supposed to age longer. One nice thing about this corking is you can switch to the beer capper easily. We like to do a variety of different closures. We put in a few high quality corks for long term storage, some Zorks installed with the corker and even some new screw caps. This model has 2 beer bottle sizes, the larger one is nice to seat Zorks in very easily and straight. It can leave a big dimple in the cork since is squeezes it going through the funnel, you might have to take the adapter off sometimes and just give them a little push down with the corker to seat them deeper. All in all a nice multiuse corker/capper.

WVMJ
Thank you for the detailed feedback. I appreciate the thorough, honest review.

Quick Reply