Sweet mead - my first attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibb

Reaction score
I'm currently attempting to make a 1 gallon batch of sweet mead (using 4.4 lb of clover honey) and I'm really trying to get it as high in alcohol as possible. I've read on some websites that sweet mead can get up to 20%+ ABV.

I'm willing to let this age as much as long as i need.. but i have a few questions...

What is the best yeast to use for getting such high ABV for a sweet mead?
Also, how long do sweet meads typically take to finish fermenting?

Any other tips are welcome, I've only made a mild mead in the past so I'm still very new to this...

Thanks so much

Personally I would go with 3# of honey per gallon . this will give you roughly 15abv and use lavlin D47 as my yeast. then i would let it age for 7-8 months stabalize then sweeten to taste with more honey. But if your going with 4.4# of honey and you want it to finish sweet than use Cote de Blanc it should crap out anywhere from 12-15%

yeah this may bee too much honey... Checking other recipes it looks to be a bit much - i just figured the extra honey would help add extra sugars to make more alcohol.. Im infusing oranges (and a few spices) into this mead - if that makes any difference

If you're going to do that, consider step feeding. Start with 3#, and slowly add a cup of honey every few weeks after fermentation and slowly build up the abv.

Yeast with 4.4# to start might get stressed out and not go as well as you want.

I do this with my apfelwine all the time - start with just apple juice and sugar, then add apple juice concentrate until the yeast just can't handle any more.

Accurate ABV readings? No way. High alcohol brew? Absolutely.

1st off, read hightest's sticky on staggered nutrients. Then choose your yeast carefully. Avoid those turbo yeasts, they'll taste terrible & are usually used for fuel or on stuff to be distilled after. I like Lalvin K1-V1116, or EC-1118 for my high ABV stuff. You can find more info on yeasts here: Winemaking: Strains of Wine Yeast Regards, GF.

Back