The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Salvaging sweet meads...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
Pyro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Salvaging sweet meads...

I am currently aging 2 batches of mead...JAOM and a plain, sweet mead. They are both going on 4 months, and in the secondary at this point...and I've taken multiple samples from both along the way. They both have what I can only descibe as a "smokey" flavor to them that I'm not really liking. They were made w/ 2 different kinds of honey and I am a sterilization natzi, so I don't think it was either of those factors. If this is how the sweet meads are supposed to taste, then I'm guessing that I just really don't care for them. I've tried store bought mead before and thought it was pretty good...it tasted totally different to me...dry w/ a lot of clean, honey flavor. Is there anything I can do to salvage either of these? They're only 1 gallon batches so I won't be too upset if I can't. I was thinking about adding some vanilla to the plain mead, and I don't know what to do with the JAOM. Also, Is there any way I can "dry" them up a bit? They're both around 14% ABV w/ an ending gravity of about 1.026. Could I possibly try adding a different yeast at this point? And with adding the vanilla, should I use beans or extract? Anyone...anyone?

Primaries - Chocolate Banana Hefeweizen, EdWort's Apfelwein
Secondaries -
Tertiaries - Brewtal
Primary Pilots -
Secondary Pilots - Raspberry Cider
Conditioning - Half Pound Pale, Blueberry Apfelwein, Hard Cider, JAOM, Lord Fatbottom, Vanilla Cider, Vanilla Mead
Drinking - Breakfast Stout, Robust Porter, Cat 5 Double Chocolate Stout, St. Fatrick's Tire, Hoppy Bastard, Jack The RIPA, LBC Christmas Ale
Planned - More Raspberry Apfelwein

Brewed:
2008 - 65 gallons

Last edited by Pyro; 02-07-2008 at 03:55 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
sirsloop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Rack it off the lees and pitch some Lalvin EC-1118, energizer, and nutrient in there. That stuff goes up to 18%....

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply