Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Planning out my first mead...advice please?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 02:13 PM   #11
ZooBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Chaucer's is great Mead. I keep a bottle around for comparative also.

Trader Joe's carries it here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #12
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummkauf View Post
I know I've heard people say mead is easy to make, but this just seems too simple(though that may just be the brewer in me coming out too ).

So what is the recommended amount of peaches for a 5 gallon batch?
Mixing up a mead must is easy. Waiting 1-2 years to enjoy it will test the patience of Job. Patience is the most difficult ingredient to find in mead making (and the most important), but you rarely see a recipe include it.

For a 5 gallon batch, 10 pounds of peaches will give you a noticeable presence. 20+ pounds will lay it on strong.

With the starting gravity you have, even Cote des Blancs (which is a fine yeast by the way) is going to take it bone dry. You will probably be able to make it sparkling, but it will be dry sparkling.

If you want to make it semi-sweet, you can let the yeast take it dry, and let it clear. Then add sulfite (potassium metabisulphite) and potassium sorbate - you need both - which will prevent the yeast from fermenting when you add more fermentable sugar. This is known as "stabilizing" the mead.Then you can add in more honey to bring it up to just the level of sweetness that suits you (which is called "backsweetening").

The easy way is to take a big glass of mead and add honey a little at the time until it tastes just right. Then measure the gravity of the sweetened mead so you know what your goal is. With that, you can calculate how much honey by weight you need to add to the rest of the batch to reach your target final gravity.

I hope that helps.

Medsen

P.S. Chaucers is a good mead but very,very sweet.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:34 PM   #13
BierSnob
Recipes 

If you want a sweeter mead bump the honey to 15 lbs and use either the 71b, 47d or Wyeast 4242 Chablis yeasts they drop out around 12 to 14%. I personally have only used the 71b which works well for semi-sweet meads. Loose rule of thumb 1lb honey around 1% alcohol, not exact but close when fermenting dry. The peaches will also add to the alcohol content, so a yeast with a lower tolerance should work.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:28 AM   #14
KenSchramm
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
- What is degaussing? I've seen references to it but am not sure what exactly it is, and if it's something I need to worry about for my first mead?
I laughed hard at this. Degaussing is the process of removing the built up electrical charge from a CRT or other electric device to insure it performs as it should. Degassing is the process of agitating the mead to get the excess carbon dioxide out during fermentation. It's easy and a good idea if you are willing to put in the effort. I've degaussed a lot of monitors and degassed a lot of meads, but never thought about how the two might be combined.

More peaches. Definitely more peaches.

No longer a Junior Member. Thank goodness.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:15 AM   #15
hightest
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
...- What is degaussing? I've seen references to it but am not sure what exactly it is, and if it's something I need to worry about for my first mead?
FWIW, Degaussing is the process of decreasing (or eliminating) an unwanted magnetic field... Something I did often in my earlier years as a color TV technician... It is not something to be concerned with when making mead...

Visit me at the Brew Brothers

Quick Reply