Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Off-flavors: will they go away?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009, 01:31 AM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4637 Times on 3368 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulipion2 View Post
No, sadly. The conference (in Cincinnati) was very close to where I lived at the time (Huntington, WV), but I wasn't able to make it. My club did a "Deadliest Batch" theme and got their picture in Zymurgy. Someday National Conference will come back this way and I'll be able to go.

At the next month's meeting my club had "Mead Night," and it was one of the meads we tried. I thought it tasted fairly close to Atomic Fireball candies, and I couldn't get enough (which sucked because we only had two bottles).
Oh, sure! I remember that club. I got to meet some of them- and offered vasectomies on the spot. Well, not to them- they were sort of the butt of one of my jokes. My dad's from West Virginia, and I grew up in Ohio, so I felt I could make the joke. Bearcat Brewmeister (from Cincy) heard the joke, though! But their booth was so awesome- in their yellow slickers. They were right down from our club booth, so I made sure to wander around and say "Hi".

Next year it's in Minneapolis, so you might want to take a little road trip!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 01:39 AM   #12
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hmmmm...maybe if I start saving up my ducats (and get SWMBO's permission) I could make it. Minneapolis is kinda far from Richmond, VA (current base of operations), but a nice beer-soaked vacation would be nice.

On the mead front, it's hangin' out in a closet in the basement, airlock attached so it can off-gas, cinnamon oil added in. I'll give it a check in a couple months to see what the cinnamon and aging has done for it.

Should I rack it another time to get it off the cinnamon oil when it's absorbed enough?

EDIT: Guess I should change "Location" in my profile...DONE

On-Deck: Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul; Avery Hog Heaven clone

Primary:

Kegged: Perry; BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Pumpkin Saison; Bacon488's Mild; Quad; Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 08-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #14
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

There are no lees. The mead cleared completely a few weeks ago, and now it's just batch aging with the cinnamon oil. My concern is that the oil will have negative effects if left on too much. Are my concerns warranted?

Primary:

Kegged: Perry; BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Pumpkin Saison; Bacon488's Mild; Quad; Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 08-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4637 Times on 3368 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulipion2 View Post
There are no lees. The mead cleared completely a few weeks ago, and now it's just batch aging with the cinnamon oil. My concern is that the oil will have negative effects if left on too much. Are my concerns warranted?
I don't know what the "cinnamon oil" is. I would assume it would be dissolved. It's not?

Old 08-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #16
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

No, cinnamon oil is the oil extracted from cinnamon bark. It doesn't dissolve, but instead floats on top (like the oil and water experiment you did in elementary school). The cinnamon flavor and aroma are easily absorbed into the mead, but the oil still stays on top. When I bottle I don't want to leave an oil slick in each bottle.

There have been other threads on using olive oil instead of aerating, and I wondered if the cinnamon oil would oxygenate my mead like olive oil would.

Primary:

Old 08-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #17
wayneb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The addition of olive oil in a fermentation doesn't oxygenate (or oxidize) it. Rather, it provides the lipids that yeast would have to otherwise synthesize on their own - and they need some oxygen to be able to do that. I don't think you need to worry about oxidizing your mead, but depending on what exactly is in that cinnamon oil, you might get some off flavors if the oil itself goes rancid (i.e. oxidizes) while floating on top of the liquid.

Quick Reply