Mead Glassware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g-love

Reaction score
I've never had mead before, but I'm cracking a bottle of B. Nektar Vanilla Cinnamon with the old lady and I just realized that I don't know what to drink it from.... What's the "correct" glassware for this?

No probs... Think I might have to have some of my own mead now... :D 18% traditional (regional wildflower honey) started 11/2010 and aged on oak for about a month before being bottled about a year after being made... Damned fine mead... :rockin:

Nice. Maybe mead will be my next conquest..... Like I need something else to do. LOL!

I've never had mead before, but I'm cracking a bottle of B. Nektar Vanilla Cinnamon with the old lady and I just realized that I don't know what to drink it from.... What's the "correct" glassware for this?

Traditionally, people drank mead from mazers or mead bowls similar to these:
http://robin-wood-gallery.blogspot.com/p/mazers-and-quaiches.html

Or from drinking horns like these:
http://www.urweg.com/list/horns.html

But a wine glass works (and looks) just fine, probably even better as they're designed for smelling & tasting wine, and mead is basically a honeywine. Plus you can hold it up to the light to see it's color & clarity.
http://www.meadmadecomplicated.org/mead_tasting/glassware.html

I always use a wine glass since it's what I have, works great.
Regards, GF.

Thanks GF. Those mead bowls are super cool looking. I love those. We used wine glasses last night because that's what we had too.

Horn! If you can find a glass horn, you're in good shape. There are a few glass companies that still produce them, but Ive been told they were for Akvavit when they were in common use.

Personally, I kind of like champagne glasses. For both still and carbonated mead.

1de7.jpg

I still can't get my head round this type of question.

The link to the turned/carved bowls linked, are undoubtedly beautiful, especially with the silver rims.

Yet given the dates quoted in the linked blog, are questionable. Meads high point here would have been 300 or 400 years earlier. Hence the saxons would have used basic pottery or basic carved wood.

Of course, horn was also used for drinking vessels, and might be considered closer to authentic. Yet they're also linked to earlier times, so I suspect its just personal choice, but I certainly wouldn't pay the fantasy prices for the silvered ones linked.

So ummm g love how about a report on how you liked the mead? If you can find some Raspberry mead by Redstone Meadery or come through Frederick and get some its not bad. It comes in a blue flip top bottle so you can clean and save it for some of you own someday. I like the small stemless wine glasses. If you ever come down towards Frederick, Md there is a meadery that has a tasting room in Middletown http://www.facebook.com/orchidcellar?v=info
You will soon be making your own once you see the prices of most meads.

Digging up my own old thread because I never saw Big's last reply. I thought it was "okay." Intensely sweet.... I almost want to cut it with something. However, now it's made me curious because I am sure, just like beer, there are all kinds/styles of meads available to try. I'll definitely check out check out your suggestion. I work in hagerstown and go to frederick all the time. Roasthouse always has some decent stuff on tap.....

I just realized that I don't know what to drink it from.... What's the "correct" glassware for this?

your enemy's skull.... jk... A wine glass will work fine

Wine glasses are the best. Although, I should using my mazer cup sometime.

Now, now, Robusto--skulls are hard to clean properly....unless you just make a bowl out of the top and finish it properly.....

It depends--I like a wine glass at home, but at events (SCA) I much prefer my drinking horn.

Back