Mead to beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can hop mead and you can make a braggot (mead with added beer - or beer made with added honey) but honey tastes like honey and malted barley tastes like malted barley

Now how would I go about on doing that? I have yet to make beer or mead, I make cider and wine tho and want to get into mead and beer. But how would i hop mead?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Now how would I go about on doing that? I have yet to make beer or mead, I make cider and wine tho and want to get into mead and beer. But how would i hop mead?

I've hopped meads by making a tea of sorts to mix with the honey in the primary as well as dry hopping a bit before bottling.

I've never made beer before so what Do you use to make a "hop"

So I can just add that to my mead? And it will kind of give it a beer honey flavor and aroma?

How does this sound for beer/mead

1 gallon batch

2 lb honey

1 oz fuggle hops (boil 30-45 min)

1/4 nutrients

Beer yeast (idk which kind, ideas?)

Water to fill up rest of gallon

When bottling add prime sugar for carbonation.

How does this sound guys?

Well beer and mead are two completely different animals. Mead is essentially wine made from honey. Beer is fermented wort made from grains.

Start at http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html
For info on beer brewing.

Now you can combine the two to create a Braggot which is essentially a beer that has had a large portion of the base grain replaced with honey.

Ah gotcha sorry I'm learning each minute. I'm actually going to buy a 5 gallon extract beer kit in 2 weeks. That includes all the ingredients I need to make the beer right?

How does this sound for beer/mead

1 gallon batch

2 lb honey

1 oz fuggle hops (boil 30-45 min)

1/4 nutrients

Beer yeast (idk which kind, ideas?)

Water to fill up rest of gallon

When bottling add prime sugar for carbonation.

How does this sound guys?

This recipe is essentially a hoppy mead for which I would use a wine yeast like lavlin 71b. If you pm me your email address I can email you a lot of materials on how to brew beer or mead. Otherwise Google and the HBT search function should be your best friend for info.

Ah gotcha sorry I'm learning each minute. I'm actually going to buy a 5 gallon extract beer kit in 2 weeks. That includes all the ingredients I need to make the beer right?

Almost missed this reply...
Yes kits are a great place to start making beer. Just take the included instructions with a grain of salt as they are vague at best and often wrong. But they do include all the ingredients you need to make a batch of beer.

Okay good, as I told someone in another post I've made I heard somewhere extract kits are a GREAT place to start.. Then move on to changing up the color,flavor,body, etc.. So going from wine,cider,mead to beer is kind of here like the equipment is but the new terms are different so I'll get tided to sorry for the questions!' :S

But you can do as you suggested. Since you need to dilute honey with water you can boil the water for 60 minutes and add hops (you decide what kind you like - but there is a lovely recipe out there (on the web) for hopped mead that uses cascade (60 minutes) centennial (I think 30) and citra (perhaps 15) and additional cascade for dry hopping. You make your hop tea and then dilute the honey with this water. I don't know whether isomerization increases or decreases if there is no sugar in the water but I made a small batch about 7 months ago and I think it was one of the most delicious meads I have ever made. Now, since the focus is on the hops you may not want to use an expensive varietal. I used clover honey

Can you make meads taste similar to beer?

I made a beer/ mead this weekend based on Tej (Ethiopian Mead).
I used Gesho to bitter. Boiled the twigs. Steeped malted barley for an hour. Added the honey and Champaign yeast. The mixture is fermenting with the twigs. It smells like beer!
I'll let you know in 5 weeks if it tastes like beer.

Back