infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does this look like an infection? When I opened lid bubbles were very big. This is a raspberry melomel.

1395693282011.jpg

Could be. It's 8 days into fermentation. I've had an infection with a raspberry ale that looked similar to this but being I've never run into one with a mead I was concerned.

I can't imagine that being a pellicle at 8 days. To re-assure you on top of that, Pellicles are pretty easily broken and the amount of bubbles and off-gassing from primary would break it before it even formed. I'm 95% sure this is just yeast.

Ok. Well just smelled it, no off scents they dropped off after taking photo, will see if they return. Was just a sight when I opened, very large. Almost filling the entire head space. Oh well panic hour over.

Take care. Thanks for the quick response.

Smells of raspberry, alcohol and yeast. No off scents. After opening lid they fell off. Like I said in previous post they were very large, then went away. I had a very vigorous ferment for the first 5 days. Lalvin D-47 used for yeast.

^

Then you should be ok, the next time you open that lid, all that stuff should be gone, and be at the bottom........Good luck !

Looks pretty typical to me. I wouldn't even try to worry at 8 days.

Back