How long to age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just bottled my meet after eight months and it tastes pretty good. I understand that meet gets better with age but is there an upper limit for this. I'm sure I've read it in my mead maker book but I'm lazy and don't know where that book is right now. the problem is it taste good but I don't want to drink it all now if it should get better with age. I have a couple different varieties right now so I can easily hold off but I was just curious for opinions. These are my first meads ever so I'm a newbie. Thanks.

If you are enjoying it now then its OK to drink. It will get better as it ages. The best way to tell when it peaks is to have a bottle a month. When you don't notice any appreciable difference it's at it's peak. 6 months to a year usually brings out the best in a wine.

Depends, entirely, on several factors. Not the least of which is the ABV%, honey used, and yeast used. At just 8 months old, you do run the risk of bottle bombs if you didn't stabilize the mead first.

Keep it in proper conditions (wine cellar conditions typically) and try a bottle every few months. Just be sure to squirrel away some for several yeast so you can see how it evolves.

the style mead you made will also be a variable,a JAOM or melomel may be decently drinkable in 6 months, great in 12 months and phenomenal in 18 months. While a bochet or a real high abv metheglin or even traditional or sack mead may not even be pleasant to drink for 12-18 months or good before 24 months. There are a lot of factors to consider.

I've read in a few books that with a traditional, show or simple melomel or metheglin, meads without to many things going on they peak between 30 and 36 months and then slowly decline, but the declination is much much slower than the aging to its peak is so people opening a bottle 8-9 yrs old still enjoy a great glass of mead.

the leap year bochet a lot of us made this year isnt even planned to be uncorked for 4 years (but I doubt any of us will have the will power to not have some samples along the way and save a nice bottle for 2/29/2016)

Back