Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Honey Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2009, 02:27 AM   #1
psyber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Honey Suggestions

Getting ready to start my first "real" batch of mead (I have a few JAOM under my belt) and I need help deciding what type of honey to use.

I am planning on fermenting a 5-gallon batch using wyeast's dry mead and then splitting it into 5 1-gallon batches and back sweetening 4 with different fruits: black berry, raspberry apple cinnamon, and orange.

My problem is that I cant decide if I want to use wildflower, clover, or some other type of honey.

Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2009, 02:37 AM   #2
Wade E
Beer Buster
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I think Tupelo is the best!

Old 08-18-2009, 02:59 AM   #3
salad 419
Recipes 

Tupelo is interesting. I had a bottle of Drake Brothers Tupelo Mead and it was..... well, interesting.

It's only the 2nd Mead I tried, so I'm not an expert or anything. We drank the whole bottle, so interesting isn't a bad word.

I think that if you were adding fruit to the batches, the specialty honey flavors might be masked by the fruit?????

Primary: NONE :(
Secondary: Barley wine, RIS, Palisade Pale Ale, Burnt Mead
Drinking: Local water test Red Ale, Kolsch, Northern Brown Ale, Homegrown Chinook IPA, Dunkelweizen, Cherry Bran Muffin, Citrus Salad, IPA, Cherry Stout

"And Ultimately....... Who Gives A F@CK Anyway?"- Frank Zappa

Old 08-19-2009, 01:53 AM   #4
Wade E
Beer Buster
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ive made quite a few Melomels and in my opinion the tupelo really adds to the scenario. I have made a few without also and they were great also but believe that the Tupelo just adds that little hint of excellence.

Quick Reply