gravity readings for sweet mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben the brewman

Reaction score
i have 5 gallons of sweet meed fermenting and wanted to know what a good final gravity reading would be. its a 5 gallon batch with 12 pounds of honey a starting gravity of 1.100 and i used the yeast i use is Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead the details on the yeast are below.

Leaves 2-3% residual sugar in most meads. Rich, fruity profile complements fruit mead fermentation. Use additional nutrients for mead making.
Flocculation: Medium
Attenuation: NA
Temperature Range: 65-75°F, 18-24°C
Alcohol Tolerance: 11% ABV

the mead is at 1.018 now is that good or should it be lower.

I think 1.018 is a good final gravity for a sweet mead. It is important to to balance the acidity (possibly tannin) with the sweetness so that it doesn't taste cloying.

Your abv is 12% so yeh i think you made it past its tolerance. Check that gravity 3 days in a row to make sure its stable and add k-meta and sorbate and then sweeten if desired.

Iordz said:
I think 1.018 is a good final gravity for a sweet mead. It is important to to balance the acidity (possibly tannin) with the sweetness so that it doesn't taste cloying.
what is cloying?

Back