GOOD Books on making mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dopeybrew

Reaction score
The title says it all. I'm looking for a good book(s) on mead making. I have been brewing beer for almost a year now and would like to give mead a shot. A comprehensive how to book would be preferred. Second would be a book with a fair amount of recipes.

Anyone know of such books?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken Schramm's The Compleat Meadmaker is the bible of mead making. There is a newer book by Steve Piatz ( just out this summer, I think) but I have not yet had a chance to read it.
As to recipes, mead ain't beer. Once you have a good grasp of the principles you really don't need "recipes". Fundamentally, you dilute 2 -3 lbs of honey in a gallon of good , cool water. You add nutrients (yeast has too few to sustain the yeast) and you use your choice of wine , champagne, ale or lager yeast. The more honey you add the more pronounced the varietal of honey flavor there will be but the more honey you use the greater will be the ABV. The greater the ABV the longer you will need to age the mead. There is always a balance between the ABV, the acidity (Titratable Acidity or TA) and the sweetness. Most (many? some?) mazers ferment dry (SG 1.000 or lower) and back sweeten. Some use the alcohol to kill the yeast before they have finished chomping down on the available sugar.
You can add fruit or spices (including hops (boiled in water)) or flowers. Some cultures that make mead dilute the honey proportionally 1:3 or 1:4. etc. Most of the folk I know use an hydrometer and aim for a gravity rather than a dilution ratio - Me? I aim for about 1.090 which is just over 2 lbs of honey. But I have friends who aim for a starting gravity of 1.120. That said, I just started some cyser Monday and the starting gravity was 1.132 (a potential ABV of about 17 percent).
Last point - brewers boil their stuff, mazers avoid heat. You sanitize with K-meta, not heat. And the avoidance of heat applies to the fermentation too - cool and slow is good for aroma and flavor (so champagne yeast is not a really great choice - too powerful - blows off the aromatics and flavor molecules of varietal honeys)

The Complete Guide to Making Mead: The Ingredients, Equipment, Processes, and Recipes for Crafting Honey Wine
Jul 30, 2014 by Steve Piatz

This is a new book and exactly what you described as looking for, lots of pics and easy to follow instructions for newbies and everyone else.

WVMJ

The Complete Guide to Making Mead: The Ingredients, Equipment, Processes, and Recipes for Crafting Honey Wine
Jul 30, 2014 by Steve Piatz

This is a new book and exactly what you described as looking for, lots of pics and easy to follow instructions for newbies and everyone else.

WVMJ

Piatz's book is very good, if terse and somewhat down-talking. The information in there is legit, though. That group in St. Paul knows what they're doing.

Back