frist mead question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

violatedsmurf

Reaction score
This will be the first time i have ever made a mead.The question is i bought a mead kit AHB, the dry mead kit, i was wondering could i make it into a cyser. If not what do i have to do to be able to turn it into one. thx for any help.

Add apple juice instead of water.
I'm not sure I'd do that with a kit though. Just go buy a couple gallons of apple juice, I'd suggest about 2 lbs of honey per gallon of juice, and some yeast. Mix and wait.

I don't see why not. Just use apple juice instead of water to make the mead. Cyser is basically a type of mead that uses apple juice instead of H2O. Nice thing about that is that it will also up the ABV of your mead as well.

That sounds good. well do i need to add any thing. why wouldn't you do it with a kit.
Over here, "they" don't sell mead kits - lets face it, a mead kit ? Honey, water, yeast, nutrients and acid.... This isn't to be critical but as "traditional" mead is quite basic, there's really little point in actually producing a kit, other than to be sold as an "impulse" product.

Not to worry, it's getting you to give it a try.......

Add anything ? probably not. If the instructions are well written, then they'll have stuff like approximate gravity/brix information etc. If you haven't already started the kit, then if it were me, I'd be making the must up, with apple juice first, then adding some of the honey (maybe half) and checking the gravity - from choice I'd be aiming at about the 1090 to 1100 level, much more than that, and you could (depending on what yeast is supplied, though you did say it was for dry mead) experience problems. Then with whatever honey is left over, I'd mix it with a little warm water and then as the ferment progresses, add it in.

Of course, being a kit doesn't mean that they haven't supplied "quality" varietal honey, though I'd suspect not.

As for why not doing something like this with a kit ? Well if you're not an adventurous type of brewer, then you might just want to see what the base kit comes out like to achieve the "original" intended flavour.

Either way, good luck with it.

regards

fatbloke

Latest posts

Back