Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Five-year-old, bulk-aged mead, finally bottled, some corks being pushed out

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Echoloc8
Acolyte of Fermentalism
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Five-year-old, bulk-aged mead, finally bottled, some corks being pushed out

So I made this mead in midsummer 2007: 1.100 OG orange blossom honey, split into two 3-gal carboys; one oaked, one unoaked. Siphoned out a bottle or two every -mumble- months for parties and the like. Exquisite mead in both cases.

Finally decided about two weeks ago to combine the remnants (2:1 unoaked to oaked) into a roughly 2.5 gal batch for bottling. Put in 3 crushed Campden tablets, let sit for 15 min, and bottled with natural corks.

Yup, I goofed: no degassing, and possibly not enough time after adding the tablets, which I think might be biting me in the butt now: three of the 12 bottles have begun pushing out their corks. OTOH, I only stood them up for 24 hrs after bottling, which might mean that they'll be OK.

What do you guys think? I didn't bother with a FG reading, because geez, it's been five years!

-Rich

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
Meadrol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

You need to add potassium sorbate along with the campden tablets in order to stabilize so this doesn't happen. Amazing how a little fermentation can remain that long.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply