Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > First time Mead batch questions - time to rack

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2010, 12:42 AM   #1
acyl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default First time Mead batch questions - time to rack

Hi. I started three 1 gallon batches of mead 2 monthes ago. All three of the batches have cleared up and I want to rack to secondary. I want to make sure I am doing this right.

Do I just siphon to secondary and top off with water/honey?
Do I need to add more sulfite tablets?
Should I shake the mead up after racking to secondary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 01:19 AM   #2
jdinger29
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, I can answer the last one: At this point you do not want to shake your mead. Adding oxygen at this point will cause the mead to go downhill fast. When you transfer be very careful not to splash around too much. Even this small amount could cause problems. I will let the more experienced folks answer your first two questions.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by acyl View Post

Do I just siphon to secondary and top off with water/honey?
Do I need to add more sulfite tablets?
Should I shake the mead up after racking to secondary?
1. Yes...well, sort of. Adding more fermentables without sulfite/sorbate or the yeast being over their max tolerance, you'll restart more fermentation. Be aware of that.

2. Depends. Is it DONE? If you sulfite/sorbate, you'll fairly effectively (although nothing is 100%) stop the ferment at that point. If it's still sweet, now is NOT the time to add things to stop or slow the ferment.

3. Hell no! Oxygen up until I think the 1/3 sugar break (maybe it's 1/2 -- look at hightest's FAQ) but no further.

Quick Reply