First mead:fermenting questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsonpop

Reaction score
So I just recently came across some one gallon glass jugs and about 6 lbs. of honey. Naturally I want to make some mead. Went to my LHBS and asked what yeast is best and he said that the Wyeast mead yeast is good for dry meads. So I bought the smack pack and some D-47 wine yeast as well. My first question is if I'm making a one gallon batch and pitch the whole wyeast pack will there be drawbacks to over pitching? I'm assuming the wyeast ferments 5 gallon batches because it's huge. Secondly how do I know if the recipe I'm using will work well being more "dry" or more "sweet"? I was hoping just to use Joe's Ancient Orange Mead recipe excluding the orange peels and the bread yeast. Would this be better as a sweet or a dry mead or is it all my preference? Oh and if I pitch the D-47 instead what differences should I expect?

Thanks!
-Jordan

Maybe my post was to long.
What are the drawbacks to over pitching yeast in mead? Does the yeast determine whether the mead will be dry or sweet?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Nope, also those "Mead yeasts" are pretty fickle. If I were going to go off JAO, I'd just make JAO, I wouldn't' void the warranty, but it is supposed to be sweet to counter the orange bitterness.

The yeasts alcohol tolerance will technically determine if it will be dry or not, but best practice is really to ferment dry and backsweeten to your liking instead of trying to predict when yeast will stop.

The yeast cells will multiply well beyond the 100 billion before said and done, So I wouldnt worry about having pitched a whole pack.

Back