New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > A few questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #11
scottv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It can. When I get home tonight I will open and grab a sample and leave a comment. I'm pretty sure with first fermentation yeast would have a strong smell.

Hopefully gold or one of the other long time brewers will comment then we will both have a better answer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #12
Smiddy1488
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
It can. When I get home tonight I will open and grab a sample and leave a comment. I'm pretty sure with first fermentation yeast would have a strong smell.

Hopefully gold or one of the other long time brewers will comment then we will both have a better answer.
Yeah would be awesome to get some definite answers can't wait to taste this when it's all done!

Old 12-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #13
Brewer1986
Recipes 

Though I am new to this website I am not new to mead brewing. I started over seven years ago and brew nearly 200 gallons every 6 months or so. It sounds to me like your yeasties will be just fine. An air gap is a good thing. In my five gallon carboys I leave a good 6 to 10 inch gap. If you don't you run the risk of a mead fountain in your closet at 4 am. (Not that this ever happened to me or anything.). Personal preference I try to have my ingredients at 90 degrees give or take a degree before adding yeasties and their nutrients. I also ensure my container is in its permanent home for the next3 months or so before adding them. On a side note with a fruit mead a good couple of thoughts I use on some of mine: Fruit is best put in after being frozen, about half a cup or less per gallon of orange juice helps the mead considerably but can extend brewing period. Thanks for reading. Let me know if I can help further.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #14
bsjracing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

200 gal in 6months=400 per year.....slightly above the legal limit

Bottled
JAOM, Orange Melomel

Old 12-13-2012, 01:36 AM   #15
scottv
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Haha wow 200 gallons. I can't imagine that with my little 6 gallon bucket and carboy.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:04 AM   #16
scottv
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi smiddy. So I pulled out the bucket to give it a good stir. It still has a odd strong alcohol smell to it but tonight I pulled some out. Even with the odd smell it tasted like a mild dry mead so was pretty happy. It's hard to tell what kind off of alcohol content it will be but it still has the fruit add during 2nd fermentation ? B

Old 12-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #17
Brewer1986
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsjracing
200 gal in 6months=400 per year.....slightly above the legal limit
If I did not have a license yes it would be above the legal limit. But anywho I am happy to help you guys with questions when ever I can.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #18
Smiddy1488
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok so i'm going to attach a couple pictures.

forumrunner_20121213_080019.jpg

I opened it up this morning being curious as i've still no bubbles in the airlock present and this is how it looked i'm not sure if this is normal lol.

forumrunner_20121213_080135.png

This is how my mead gap looked

Old 12-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #19
scottv
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not sure. My first one is a peach melomel and i haven't added the fruit yet. I'm on day 12 still bubbling 1-5 bubbles every 4-6 seconds.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:20 AM   #20
Brewer1986
Recipes 

It could greatly be that your air gap is four or five gallons of air. The gas has a lot of room to fill especially when opened. It looks fairly normal except usually you would see gas bubbles forming. I highly suggest buying the ingredients to make your six gallons much closer to full or a couple one gallon carboys to transfer into. It should not be ruined yet you can give the yeast a good kick start. If you transfer to one gallon mix half cup warm water with yeast nutrients to instructions on their packaging, then add in a teaspoon or two dependent on your worry of yeast and pour in with it. This should give it a boost. But if I just can't see the gas bubbles in the photo it is fine and you need to just leave it closed and let it do its work. If you go with more ingredients to fill your six gallons multiply my above suggestion by estimated gallons you have in your brewing container. As mentioned earlier I only leave about six inches between liquid and rim of carboys. This is a pretty good rule of thumb. It helps prevent overflow and still leaves desired effect with yeasties. Can always add a little water about the time you rack for aging or about the time bubbles slow to one every ten minutes or so.

Quick Reply