Experimental "marshmallow" mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisVZ

Reaction score
While searching for ideas for my next mead, I came across threads discussing bochet and the marshmallow flavors that can be commonly be detected in it. I decided to try making a marshmallow flavored mead.
Using real marshmallows was not something I felt was feasible. Instead, I chose to use caramelized sugar to get the marshmallow flavor. I made this myself using 4# of sugar, 1Tbsp lemon juice and a quart of water. I mixed these in a large pot and brought it to a boil on high heat. Once it began to boil I reduced the heat to medium. I let it continue to cook while keeping an eye on the temp. I kept it below 250F by adding water when needed. When it smelled and tasted like marshmallows and was a medium to dark amber, I added 1 1/2 quarts of water to stop it from cooking, and re heated it just enough to dissolve all the sugar. I then mixed up the rest of my must and added the sugar solution. May add some vanilla to the secondary depending on how it turns out.

Recipe:
10# clover honey

4# caramelized sugar (weight of sugar caramelized) prepared as listed above

Yeast energizer and nutrients

Lalvin K1-1116 yeast

OG 1.106

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm interested to find out how this goes for you. I actually make marshmallows and give them as gifts so this would be a cool pairing perhaps. Sugar salt gelatin vanilla and air (also magic) is all that's in them so the caramelized sugar should help lend it that flavor.

Curious as they why you didnt just make a Bochet? It has much more flavor than caramelized sugar. WVMJ

Curious as they why you didnt just make a Bochet? It has much more flavor than caramelized sugar. WVMJ

I thought about making one, but I like to experiment and try different things. Even when I make a beer, I'm not satisfied following a recipe. I always feel the need to tweak it and make it my own. I may do a bochet in the future, but this is what my creative side was telling me to try. Even if I don't get the flavor I am looking for, I'm sure it will still be tasty and something I can call my own creation.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Update: Gravity was down to 1.010. There are very faint traces of the caramelized sugar, but not as much as I hoped. Made another 1 lb batch of sugar, but took the caramelization further and let the temp get up to 375F. Gonna let this ferment out and not add any more no matter the outcome and add a little vanilla extract to the secondary.

Final update: the last addition failed to ferment at all and gravity is stuck at 1.02. I like the complexity the caramelized sugar gave it but it is way to sweet. I have started a 6 gallon batch using 2 lb per gallon so it finishes dry and will be blending them both together. If I was to try something like this again, I would use less sugar, but caramelize it more and adjust for a lower starting gravity.

Can't wait to hear how the final product tastes

Since being blended, it has begun fermenting again. It is going slow, but a flashlight held against either carboy reveals steady streams of tiny bubbles. A small taste last week was good, if a little hot and sweet. I think the caramelized flavor is gonna be very subtle if it is noticeable at all.

It's going to need time. A lot more time than beer, actually. I've got some mead in bottles that's two years old and it's finally hitting it's stride.

It's going to need time. A lot more time than beer, actually. I've got some mead in bottles that's two years old and it's finally hitting it's stride.

That's my biggest problem, as I only am able to do 1 gallon batches right now and it's tough having that kind of patience, although I've got a buckwheat batch right now that I will have noooo problem waiting 2 years before I taste again

Agreed. I have lots of time to let it age. Got a couple other batches in the pipeline before it. Also got lots of beer to hold me over.

Latest posts

Back