Returning to brewing in Austin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peabody304

Reaction score
My interest in brewing dates back to my high school days. Somewhere in the house I have books from the mid 70s.

After retiring from the Army in '93, and finding homebrewing on the Internet, (the earliest evidence I can find of me on the 'net is on the HBD in 1993) I was finally able to start brewing. If my notes are correct in my old copy The Complete Joy of Homebrewing, my first beer was a Nut Brown ale and more that likely, was a can of extract. Over the next few years, I got more comfortable with brewing and was doing some partial mash kits from AHS.

However, at some point, I started having strange reactions to ales, not lagers, just ales. And frankly, brewing is not as much fun is you can't drink it.

Fast-forward 10 plus years and, at my wife's request ("Honey, can you brew me an amber ale?" "Why, yes. Yes I can!"), I'm getting back in the hobby. And, I found that I am able to drink ales again (hurray).

So I've dug out all equipment and replaced stuff that was either too old or I couldn't find, and this weekend I'm brewing the AHS American Amber extract kit. I am going to do a full boil instead of a partial using the 11 gal ebay pot I read about on the classifieds board (read about it and bought it on Wednesday and it's being delivered today - that's stunningly fast!).

I have to say that this forum is an excellent resource and I've learned a lot in the week or so I've been reading it, so thanks to everyone here. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in the next few weeks since I'm already planning the next several batches.

peabody304

Welcome Back!

I'm another guy who took some "time off" from this hobby, but getting back in full swing. Charlie's books are what really got got me inspired to get started in the first place and every time time I open one again, it's kinda like deva vu all over again. Good luck and RDWAHAHB.

one post and already a supporter. way to go man....

welcome aboard and happy brewing

-=jason=-

Latest posts

Back