Mailing beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulBrew

Reaction score
Is there any regulations I need to know about to send beer by mail from Wisconsin to my brother in Illinois.?

It is illegal to ship your beer via USPS.

You can ship via UPS or FedEx.

Yes, the most important rule is don't send beer via US Mail. If you are going to send beer, I mean yeast samples, it is recommended to use FedEx or UPS. Also, I like to double box. That is, I put the bottles in a box with cushioning, then put that box inside another box with cushioning. The means that even if the outer box is breached (which happens) the bottles still have a good chance of surviving the trip.

Also since sending multiple bottles can tend to get heavy, I save and reuse those big puffy plastic air packets, as they are very good at cushioning and weight almost nothing. Lowers shipping costs dramatically. And I also wrap each bottle in bubble wrap.

I have shipped via usps over 30 times without any problems. I always insured them with delivery conformation and the postal worker always boxed them up for me...... so your saying that was illegal?

I have shipped via usps over 30 times without any problems. I always insured them with delivery conformation and the postal worker always boxed them up for me...... so your saying that was illegal?

This is correct. It is against the law to ship via United States Postal Service.

However, it is only against the POLICY of UPS and FedEx.

I hear the USPS is considering allowing it in the future as a means of increasing their income though.

Thanks for the info... and if anyone needs any brews out of wisconsin let me know. I would be happy to help...

If you are into dogfish I live next to the brewery and can get most of their stuff

Checked for those beers at the one place I go. Will check another wholesale beverage store that has even more selection...

Native, I did some research on that pliny the elder, And found out Russian river brewery only Distributes to california, washington, And colorado... So 1 of my best buds lives in colorado, and is gonna try to get some for us. Since I wanna try some too. I will keep you posted...

I've found it a few places around here and actually had it on tap at a restaurant in Salem Oregon that was kinda fun.

Someone asked me to send him some Pliny.. easy enough to do.. the KILLER is shipping. He wanted 3 Pliny and 3 Blind Pig. The cost of the beer plus tax, packaging and shipping would have been about $70.. That's a ton to pay for 6 brews.. Shipping was more than half the price..

Back