Illini Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Branson53

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm an aspiring home brewer from Illinois. I hardly know anything about brewing, with the exception of the hours I have spent trying to read up online, and don't personally know anyone else who home brews. But I love good beer and so I'd really like to give it a try.

Since I'm so new I have a couple questions to get started with and I'm sure I'll have many more along the way. First of all, I don't have any equipment so I have been trying to find a good starter kit online. This basic starter kit from Northern Brewer (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/review/product/list/id/5336/category/4/) seems like it has pretty much everything I need and is a reasonable price. What do you guys think of that kit? Also sort of related to this, does it make a difference in terms of the taste of the beer if the fermenting bucket is plastic compared to a glass carboy?

Next, from what I have read it seems like the best bet initially would be to use an extract kit because it sounds like it simplifies the process at least a little. For my first beer I'd really like to try to make a dunkelweizen. I see that Northern Brewer has a dunkelweizen extract kit (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/dunkelweizen-extract-kit.html) are their kits typically good quality? And does anyone else have any suggestions for a different kit I could possibly try?

Thanks in advance for the help and I'm really looking forward to getting started.

Midwest supplies has a complete kit that includes everything and a beer kit to try. It cones with the brew pot also. Where are you from in Illinois

Midwest supplies has a complete kit that includes everything and a beer kit to try. It cones with the brew pot also. Where are you from in Illinois

Thanks CC, the kit from Midwest Supplies does look pretty good and it would be nice to just get everything at once ready to go out of the box. I'm actually a college student at the University of Illinois but I'm from the Naperville/Aurora area. I'm looking to get the supplies so I can start brewing right when summer starts.

Hi everyone, I'm an aspiring home brewer from Illinois. I hardly know anything about brewing, with the exception of the hours I have spent trying to read up online, and don't personally know anyone else who home brews. But I love good beer and so I'd really like to give it a try.

Since I'm so new I have a couple questions to get started with and I'm sure I'll have many more along the way. First of all, I don't have any equipment so I have been trying to find a good starter kit online. This basic starter kit from Northern Brewer (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/review/product/list/id/5336/category/4/) seems like it has pretty much everything I need and is a reasonable price. What do you guys think of that kit? Also sort of related to this, does it make a difference in terms of the taste of the beer if the fermenting bucket is plastic compared to a glass carboy?

Next, from what I have read it seems like the best bet initially would be to use an extract kit because it sounds like it simplifies the process at least a little. For my first beer I'd really like to try to make a dunkelweizen. I see that Northern Brewer has a dunkelweizen extract kit (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/dunkelweizen-extract-kit.html) are their kits typically good quality? And does anyone else have any suggestions for a different kit I could possibly try?

Thanks in advance for the help and I'm really looking forward to getting started.
As far as the effect of a plastic or glass fermentor, check out the video on www.basicbrewing.com episode dated Nov. 30, 2011 Triangle test to see what they found out about the difference. Both Northern Brewer and More Beer have good beginner kits and good price.
To quote Nike, "Just Do It".

Latest posts

Back